Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

Posted by patrick212 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 16:45

Does anyone have experience in hardening off Hyacinth Bean Vine and/or Japanese Morning Glory (Picotee)? Both of these vines seem very sensative to the cold (mid 50s). I have a good deal of experience in hardening off the plants I grow from seeds and these two varieties show some pretty serious wilting with cooler temperatures and wind. They bounce back within an hour of bringing them back inside.
I know that Hyacinth Bean typically likes the heat but none of the other Morning Glories that I've grown have been this sensitive. Of the 16 flats I'm hardening off these are the only two plants that are having problems. The plants are approximately 6 weeks old and very healthy.

I've also posted this question on the Growing from Seed forum. Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Take care, Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 20:53

I hardened off about a dozen hyacinth bean vines this year and they seemed to get cranky about cool temps (drooping when temps dipped much below 40) but did quite well. A couple of times I brought them back in the house looking droopy and watered them, but brought them back out in a few hours after they perked back up. I was very haphazard about it all and did not lose a single one. I started mine two months ago (3/15). I just planted out the last of them today.

Hope that helps. My general impression was that they are pretty resilient.

Lisa

o
RE: Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We had a couple of warmer days here in Chicago and the vines did well overnight. I planted them in containers on Sunday and they seem to be fine.

Just like me they aren't all that happy with cold and windy spring days.

Take care, Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here