Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pierrefrancisco

Evergreen climbing vine ideas?

pierrefrancisco
15 years ago

I'm looking for ideas to cover a 6 foot tall chain link fence. It's west facing in zone 8 and gets adequate sunlight. I'd like to plant some kind of evergreen climbing vine that blooms pink/red flowers. I've looked online at many different types of vines and am having trouble deciphering them.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Susan

Comments (9)

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

I know of no evergreen vines that would bloom pink or red in your zone. Bignonia capreolata, the crossvine, has orange or red-orange flowers. But there are evergreen vines like Clematis armandi and Gelsemium sempervirens that bloom briefly and might accept a few morning glory or cardinal vines for Summer color, or even the pink flowered scarlet runner bean. Podranea is a fascinating deciduous vine, but I am not sure it would survive in your zone. There are also pink clematis of large and small flowered sorts to mix in. Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson' is almost evergreen in my zone. you could even sneak in an occasional Mandevilla.

• joega
    15 years ago

Lady Banks Rose is awesome!! But has yellow blooms and no thorns.

• birdbite
    15 years ago

there is always coral honeysuckle!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Lonicera henryi.

• julia
    15 years ago

The honeysuckles suggested would be good choices. You might also look at Milletia reticulata and Holboellia. Jasminum x stephanense also meets your criteria although it is rather slight to provide complete coverage of a chain link fence. If you could use a white bloom, you have several more choices: Stautonia, Clematis armandii, Jasminum officionale, and Trachelospermum jasminoides. Another vine worth considering is Kadsura japonica 'Chirifu'; it has inconspicuous blooms but heavily variegated green, white, and pink foliage. You might want to check bloom time when you narrow your choices. Many vines have a short bloom period so you need to like the foliage too.

My response contains a certain amount of guessing. San Francisco has a delightful climate but it is nothing like the Zone 8 steam bath on the East coast. By the way, what is that chain link there to contain? Some vines are toxic to pets and grazing children. Another thought....unless you are very patient, you will be buying lots of plants. It may actually be cost effective to put up an attractive wooden fence. Especially if you are a DIY sort and the yard is flat.

• User
    15 years ago

Try a native honeysuckle.
    I bought 2 last spring, and believe me, they will definately cover your chain link fence!
    Besides, they are beautiful, hummers absolutely love them, just spray them with rose spray occasionally since aphids love them.
    Fast, beautiful, non toxic privacy.
    Good Luck!

• julia
    15 years ago

What rose spray is it you use? I would have thought anything other than Cornell spray and insecticidal soap was unhealthy for hummers and butterflies. Even the soap kills a food source for hummers.

I love the native Lonicera sempervirens too. But the L. henryi that bboy suggested is allegedly more disease resistant and is also a native (Western US). So is L. flava (Southeast US)and L. albiflora (Texas, Oklahoma). Maybe we should be considering these alternatives if aphids and foliar diseases are a constant problem in our areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird net.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

I bought and released ladybugs. They will handle aphids, and harm nothing else. Of course when the aphids are gone, so are most of your ladybugs, but that is ok too.
    Kay

• hchristie
    11 years ago

I am thinking of fencing in our entire yard for privacy. I like the look of greenery rather then wooden fences so can anyone offer opinions on evergreen covering, (scented flowers would be awesome!) An any tips for how close to plant them would be great. The exposure would face south. The house is old and painted white. We bought an old iron gate for the driveway and so combining this with a wooden fence or wire fence just wouldn't look that great I don't think.