Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MG and moon vines

Posted by karen_tennessee (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 17:48

Is there any reason that I cannot grow Morning Glory and Moon Vine on the same fishing line trellis. 15 foot trellis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MG and moon vines

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, May 6, 11 at 10:17

You run the risk of the fishing line breaking due weight load placed on it by the heavy vines. Try it and see what happens, maybe it won't happen?

Joseph

o

So you think the moon vine might be too heavy? I guess I should stick with the morning glory. Will morning glory be o.k. in miracle grow? Most garden web people don't like MGrow, but what do you think?

o

What test is your fishing line? I use 25 pound test, and I've never broken any.

MGs flower best in poor soil. Too rich soil causes them to be all vine with little flowering. Is there some reason you're not growing them directing in the ground?

o

I have a 15 foot section of my fence with 4 barrels using two v shaped trellis on either end and fishing line in the center. Should I just use regular potting soil,Or what would you suggest? Also, how many seeds would you think I plant in each barrel? I would like nice coverage for the fence?

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sun, May 8, 11 at 1:06

miraclegro will be fine for growing MGs.

o

Someone mentioned that Thunbergias Alata would work on my 50 lb. fishing trellis. I have read that some people winter their TA but I'm just looking for an annual. Do TA have large woody stems? And is one TA O.K. per 1/2 whiskey barrel, I use four on a 15 foot trellis or will this be too much weight.

If Thunbergias will not work, anyother suggestions besides Morning Glory. Please note that I have been growing hyacinth bean vine there for years. Pleae help I'm going crazy with what to plant this year.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Karen

o

Thunbergia alata is grown as an annual in the colder zones and has about the same weight as a MG vine. They are often sold as Black Eyed Susan vines but there's other colors. I'd plant 5 or 6 in a whiskey barrel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here