Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pesky Vine Identification

Posted by jamiestp Texas (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 18:27

I need help identifying this vine and how to control it if there is any method. It is very fast growing, has tendrils very similar to grape vines.

It's mainly green but turns yellowish-red at the top of the hedge that it is trying to take over. Leaves are fairly soft. I've looked quite a bit and can't find anything that resembles it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pesky Vine Identification

It looks like a healthy poison ivy vine to me!

o

Hate to disagree with anyone, but that is not poison ivy. Poison Ivy has three leaves and does not vine. Have no idea what your vine is, but good luck identifying it.

o

Definitely not poison ivy. It may be a species of woodbine, not the common woodbine (Virginia Creeper).
Poison ivy acts like a vine, here. It produces masses of brown holdfasts to cling to the tree it is climbing. It does not produce tendrils, but virginia creeper does.

o

It looks like ampelopsis arborea, peppervine. It's related to grapes but inedible.

Dave.

o

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/picqna.html?func=viewQNA&did=1184&wid=486

I think you are right. People mistake it for poison ivy. It can irritate the skin and don`t touch your eyes if you handle the vine. I think you can eat the berries but they aren`t very tasty and some people get a upset stomach. I guess they might be useful if you were stranded somewhere and very hungry but you don`t want to confuse those berries with the deadly night shade berries.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here