Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
de-budding to encourage vine growth - am I deluded?

Posted by un_spiked (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 18:52

I've been tweezing flower buds off a Thunbergia, thinking this might cause the plant to put energy into growing longer vines faster. Is there any actual merit to this?

In hopes of growing a green window screen, I've planted window-boxes with various vines and strung a fishline trellis. Am not all that keen on Thunbergia flowers, but in my impatience was dependent on greenhouse's selection of plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: de-budding to encourage vine growth - am I deluded?

Feed the vine something with a lot of nitrogen, like Lawn fertilizer.
Just a little, not a lot, and see if the growth is more green, it won't flower as much.
Try it, it will work. If that is what you want, more green leafy growth and fewer blooms.
Most people go out of their way not to put too much nitrogen in the soil around their plants because they want the blooms rather than the growth, so do the opposite.
GOod Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here