Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tough are wisteria roots?

Posted by mpg2004 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 19:29

Hi,

We purchased a home with a 3-4 year old wisteria arbor around the patio. The arbor is lovely and I don't want to do anything to damage the wisteria! However, there is grass growing right up to the trunks of the wisteria, and I would like to remove the grass and add in a paver edge against the grass filled in with river rock so that I don't have to try and mow or trim around the wisteria as I don't want to damage the trunks. I did an exploratory excavation the other day and found a wisteria root about 1 inch under the sod -- not deep enough to lay the paver on top of. Do most wisteria roots tend to run deeper than this? Can I safely cut this one root or does it sound like going ahead with this project could damage the wisteria?

thanks for any advice!
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tough are wisteria roots?

Wisteria have a lot of roots period! I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about cutting a few. A couple of years ago we added a new bed near both the Chinese wisteria tree and the young Japanese one. We dug up roots of both when we were digging out the bed. The wisterias didn't even blink :-)

o
RE: How tough are wisteria roots?

Chinese or Japanese wisteria roots could probably survive a ground-zero nuclear blast. Cut away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here