Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle invasion

Posted by karen_tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 19:32

I have a honeysuckle invasion on nandenia (sp?) bushes and vinca ground cover. Seemed to happen over night. Does anybody have a solution as to how to get rid of it. I,m afraid my situation is futile, but wanted to see what the experts say. Probable a dumb question, but is there any poison that I could use with out killing my plants. So sad.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle invasion

I had the same thing happen to one of my Weigelas! I wasn't sure it was honeysuckle last year, I just kept cutting it down to the ground (knowing it would come back), but I let it grow and start to bloom this year so I could identify it--it was honeysuckle. Just this past Sunday I got my husband to dig it up (it was rooted right next to the Weigela's roots) & I said a prayer that we haven't disturbed the Weigel's roots, at least not enough to do any damage. I also have groundcover by them, though I have sedum and luckily there was enough room between it and the Weigela so as not to disturb it, though it would be much cheaper to replace sedum than a mature Weigela. Hopefully some good advice will come our way as to this situation...

o

Vine-X
follow instructions on bottle exactly.
You paint it on the ends of the vine.
Don't be stingy with it.
It works.
Round up doesn't.
The sooner the better. You can buy it online.

o

If honeysuckle grows wild in your area the birds go for the fruit and then drop the seed in the garden.

Sometimes a coarse mulch such as bark nuggets will help you see the young plants before they establish so you can just weed them out.

If the poison isn't fully effective then you may need to thoroughly chop out the root and burn it because it can restart from mere nubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here