Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia Creeper and Foot Traffic

Posted by Kluttery (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 19:33

I live in the southeast, where this vine grows abundantly. My backyard is filled with it. I love its autumn color and, being an avid birder, appreciate the berries it produces for my feathered friends.

I'm toying with the idea of transplanting some to the front near the foundation. My plan is to grow it most as a ground cover but also allow a little bit to scale a wall.

The area won't be walked upon other than an occasional pruning to keep the vine in check and weeding of unwanted stuff growing. Will it tolerate such low-level foot traffic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia Creeper and Foot Traffic

"Will it tolerate such low-level foot traffic?" Yes, it grows as a volunteer (ie weed) in one of my perennial beds where it has similar conditions. Good luck keeping it where you want it. I don't find that it grows densely enough to serve well as a ground cover; you may want to mulch under it to reduce weeds. I like Virginia creeper in the wilder areas of my property, but it spreads in unwelcome ways in the more managed areas.

o
RE: Virginia Creeper and Foot Traffic

Thanks for taking time to respond.

A few days ago, I forged ahead with my project of transplanting several cuttings from my backyard to the front foundation. It didn't work as I had hoped.

I read that cutting a young stem just below a node and inserting it in soil would cause it to root. All my cuttings died within a day.

Perhaps I did something wrong, or more time is needed for new shoots to develop, or maybe it's a sign that my idea isn't as good as I thought.

I'm leaning toward it's being a "sign" and have already begun to rethink what I might do in that space instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here