Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

how to control aphids on honeysuckle

lycheeluva
15 years ago

I have had a honeysuckle plant growing up a trelis in my yard for about 4 years. Every year, every single blossom cluster gets absolutely covered with a zillion green aphids. Are aphids notorious for attractig aphids and is there anything that can be done. I sprayed the plant this year a couple of times with bonide fruit trees spray but it does not seem to have made much of a difference.

Comments (7)

• brandyray
    15 years ago

Usually, to get rid of aphids, you just direct a stream of water at the plant. It certainly works on roses, and honeysuckle are much more hardy than roses. It's also lots cheaper than buying some kind of poison. Brandy

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I use a strong spray of water periodically but have found the best thing is ladybugs. I release several thousand in the garden every year. They don't eat all of them but do a pretty good job of keeping them in check. I also haven't found that the aphids spread to any other plants in the garden with the honeysuckle. As long as they stick to that plant I'm not too concerned. BTW I've been dealing with this honeysuckle problem for well over 5 years.
    Karyn

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

I have dealt with this problem effectively and reported it, several years ago. Unfortunately, I had to poison the ants that were using the aphids like cows for the sweet juice they excrete. They herd and protect them. Once the ants were gone, predatory insects got the aphids. Preying mantises are very common,starting soon. I used a product that may not even be available now. Dianazide, or something like that, scattered at the base of the plants. Used it only once. Have not had aphid problems for last 10 years and have 6 thriving vines.

• brandyray
    15 years ago

Diazenal (not sure of the spelling) is pretty toxic. The only thing I've ever used it for it to put on the ground where I am going to have a wood pile to discourage black widow spiders (of which, we have lots here). I would not want to use it in any of my gardens. Brandy

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

Try a spray bottle filled with warm water and a few drops of Ivory dish soap. Works like a charm. Be sure and spray the underneath side of the leaves also.

• julia
    15 years ago

Those of you who spray with the garden hose, don't you find that powdery mildew becomes a problem because of the wet foliage? I am much more fond of beneficials, diatomaceous earth to get rid of the ant warriors protecting the aphids, and a Spring application light horticultural oil if all else fails. I am not at all comfortable with pesticides on honeysuckle as it is such an attractant to hummers and butterflies. Isn't it like inviting guests to dinner with the intention of serving poison?

• filix
    15 years ago

Bayer systemic did the trick. filix