Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to control aphids on honeysuckle

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 19:53

I have had a honeysuckle plant growing up a trelis in my yard for about 4 years. Every year, every single blossom cluster gets absolutely covered with a zillion green aphids. Are aphids notorious for attractig aphids and is there anything that can be done. I sprayed the plant this year a couple of times with bonide fruit trees spray but it does not seem to have made much of a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to control aphids on honeysuckle

Usually, to get rid of aphids, you just direct a stream of water at the plant. It certainly works on roses, and honeysuckle are much more hardy than roses. It's also lots cheaper than buying some kind of poison. Brandy

o

I use a strong spray of water periodically but have found the best thing is ladybugs. I release several thousand in the garden every year. They don't eat all of them but do a pretty good job of keeping them in check. I also haven't found that the aphids spread to any other plants in the garden with the honeysuckle. As long as they stick to that plant I'm not too concerned. BTW I've been dealing with this honeysuckle problem for well over 5 years.
Karyn

o

I have dealt with this problem effectively and reported it, several years ago. Unfortunately, I had to poison the ants that were using the aphids like cows for the sweet juice they excrete. They herd and protect them. Once the ants were gone, predatory insects got the aphids. Preying mantises are very common,starting soon. I used a product that may not even be available now. Dianazide, or something like that, scattered at the base of the plants. Used it only once. Have not had aphid problems for last 10 years and have 6 thriving vines.

o

Diazenal (not sure of the spelling) is pretty toxic. The only thing I've ever used it for it to put on the ground where I am going to have a wood pile to discourage black widow spiders (of which, we have lots here). I would not want to use it in any of my gardens. Brandy

o

Try a spray bottle filled with warm water and a few drops of Ivory dish soap. Works like a charm. Be sure and spray the underneath side of the leaves also.

o

Those of you who spray with the garden hose, don't you find that powdery mildew becomes a problem because of the wet foliage? I am much more fond of beneficials, diatomaceous earth to get rid of the ant warriors protecting the aphids, and a Spring application light horticultural oil if all else fails. I am not at all comfortable with pesticides on honeysuckle as it is such an attractant to hummers and butterflies. Isn't it like inviting guests to dinner with the intention of serving poison?

o

• Posted by filix z5 maine (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 7:36

Bayer systemic did the trick. filix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here