Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

First morning glories of the season

karyn1
16 years ago

The purple one was the first to bloom and the pink one started 2 days later. The seeds had been started inside and these are growing in containers. Unfortunately my toddler removed the tags (what else is new!) so I don't know what varieties they are. The purple one is actually much darker than it appears in the photo.

Karyn

Comments (15)

• ARUM
    16 years ago

Looks like President Tyler, and Pink Star. :) Arum

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Arum do those varieties go by any other names? I know I didn't plant anything called President Tyler. Who knows if everything I have was properly marked either? I put in about 45 varieties of MG's this season. I can't wait to see what will bloom well for me. I would have put in more but I've run out of fencing, trelices and places to put containers for all my vines. I still have about 15 passion vines and a few kiwis (not hardy) that need a place to grow this season.
    Karyn

• ARUM
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not sure about the names of those two, but MG's seem to have a variety of names. If you planted that many, you have a lot to look forward to! You can look each variety up on the web, and try to identify each one, if you don't have the name. It's so much fun! :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Someone mentioned that the purple one looked like a Grandpa Otts and I do remember planting that variety. Even if only half the MG's I planted bloom it should be a pretty display. I have a passiflora about every 10 feet along the fence with MG's in between. I have a number of other vines scattered throughout the yard. Can you tell I love vines? lol I guess any MG seeds that I collect will be mutts but that's ok.
    Karyn

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Karyn1, I had my Grandpa Otts bloom today too!

For the experts, I'd like to know what is the difference between Grandpa Otts & MG Star of Yelta? Thanks.
    They seem to be very similar, they're not the same plant or are they?

• nanzey
    16 years ago

How long ago did you start your seeds?
    How long did you wait to put them outside?
    Are they in containers or in the ground?
    I started mine from seed 2 months ago and they are pretty sad looking - i don't think flowers are even in their vocabulary yet!
    I just posted on the vine - gallery site - any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Nancey

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ARUM
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not an expert, but I've never met a MG I didn't like. Even the prolific "Noah" is beautiful. So what if they do reseed like mad? I love em! :) Arum

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancey the ones in the pics are in containers but I have many more that haven't yet bloomed in the yard. Those were started about a month and a half ago inside and went outside a couple weeks ago. I've been starting MG seeds every few weeks and am still direct sowing them in the yard. I nick and soak the seeds before planting. Your plants just look like they desperately need more light. They really need to be grown outside or under strong grow lights. I was able to keep a Moonvine flowering over the winter under 1000 watt HID lights.
    Karyn

PS: Arum I agree. I love them all, even some of the wild ones that pop up in the yard. I had a pretty little flower that came up in a container last summer that was ID'd as a Texas Bindweed. It's a tiny white flower with a scarlet eye.

• nanzey
    16 years ago

Karyn - thanks for your reply.
    Yep, i nicked and soaked them and they grew like crazy - but up not out!
    They have now been out on the balcony for 3 straight days - and it gets full california sun all day long - will see how they progress!
    (and i don't know if i'm crazy but i could swear there's the hint of a bud on one).
    Thanks!

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

This morning with coffee cup in hand I was greeted with this. Tomorrow will be another surprise.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love Flying Saucer. I can't wait for mine to bloom. I guess I'll remember where I planted it then. lol
    Karyn

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

I knew this MG was going to open today & that it didn't appear to be name on the envelope that I got in a trade as Maisugata. Though I'm not totally disappointed b/c I didn't have this one either, I think this is MT Fuji, Right or wrong? I'm just learning about MGs. Helena

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

karyn1 - The 2 MG's that you posted at the top of this thread look the most like Grandpa Ott's and Pink Rambler
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/139514/
    possibly a lighter colored Crimson Rambler
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/83358/

helena_z8_ms - The flower you posted here
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Helena_z8_MS/102_1025.jpg
    is Mai Sugata
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/84350/
    ...if you can post a photo of the shape of the leaves...that may distinguish it from the extremely closely related MT.Fuji series...
    The Mt.Fuji that it most closely resembles would be Fuji no AO...as shown in the following link...
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/45279/
    disregard the term 'imperialis' as it is not a legitimate name...the youjiro
    http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/relatives/04_3.html
    are Ipomoea nil crossed with Ipomoea purpurea

Here's a link to the thread where I addressed the question about the differences in the darker blue and purple Ipomoea purpureas...

I'll be checking in 'here'n'there'...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandpa Otts,Star of Yelta,Kniowlas...is there a difference?

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Thank you Ron for all the info. I had no idea that it was so similar to Mt Fuji. The flower was much darker than it showed in the picture and the plant is only maybe 6" tall.
    Here's a pic of the leaves. Thanks again.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

helena- the leaves look consistent for Mai Sugata although they are looking on the light green side...is the plant receiving full sunlight(?)...if the leaves stay that light green it might be a variant with lighter green leaves...keep us posted on the leaf color...

Talk to you...

Ron