Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

my 2nd year American Wisteria has ONE flower bud so far...

Lynn Nevins
10 years ago

I got my Wisteria sometime last year...maybe in the Spring/Summer? It really took off. It's in a pot. It never had any flowers but then I understand that might be typical for the 1st year?

anyway, due to a hurricane last October, I had to cut the entire plant back in order to remove it from the trellis and my balcony and bring it indoors. I found some direction online and cut it back to just over the fifth 'knuckle' I think, on each stem.

It seemed to have all worked out just fine as about 3 weeks ago I saw the first signs of life and once again it it taking off rapidly. I can see one very clear large flower bud, but no signs of any others. At this point in time, I don't suppose there's any other pruning I could do to try and promote more flowers? Or is it possible that the flower buds can all appear at different times?

I also know that Wisteria can have some very specific requirements on how to train it on the trellis? But it sounds like since I only have the signs of one flower thus far, that I may not be at that point yet where I need to worry about 'training' or anchoring branches that are laden with heavy flowers? ;-)

Thanks all!

Comments (5)