Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for vine safe for children

Posted by ironyuppie 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 20:42

hi
im looking for a vine that will climb a metal chain link fence about 5 ft high.
It gets moderate sun but problably more shade.
Before any research i had thought of Boston ivy, thats i guess what type im interested in. Although i had come to a snag in that it is highly toxic if ingested and peopel have allergic reactions to it.

Is there a nice vine similar to that one that is not allergic adn would not be a problem to small children? Its for a daycare facility.

thanks alot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for vine safe for children

As far as I know my trumpet honeysuckle isn't toxic. It's also not invasive and I haven't noticed bees being interested in it much. Pretty and blooms, here in Alabama anyway, just about all year round.
dell

o

You could try a grapevine or two. There is not one toxic thing about a grapevine. Problem is, they go dormant in the winter, and need to be pruned to get grapes, but in spring you can make delicious Greek Dolmadas for the kids with the leaves, and the children can eat the grapes when they are ripe. There are several seedless varieties that grow in cooler areas. I think Vanessa is one. Just a suggestion.
And on top of that, when the vines get established, you can root cuttings in water, and the kids can get a lesson in watching them grow in plastic pots.

o

Avoid the honeysuckle....the seeds can cause problems, especially for small children.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County, AL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 16:10

I have been planting Carolina Jessamine on my iron work and chain link fence. It's native, evergreen and has very brilliant yellow flowers in early spring.

I don't know if it's toxic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here