Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerfully

Jackmanii Clematis turning yellow and brown

Flowerfully
10 years ago

I have a Jackmanii clematis that was planted in a container as a bare root last May. I transplanted it to the ground this February (3 months ago). When I planted it I dug the hole twice as wide and deep as the pot. The soil that I filled the hole back in with was half native soil, and the remaining half was a mixture of potting soil (same type as the container), sand, a little cow manure, and a little lime sprinkled throughout.

The first six weeks or two months the clematis absolutely took off; I was so pleased. Tons of new growth, dark, healthy-looking leaves, plenty of buds, etc. But over the past few weeks the leaves have changed. First I noticed that some leaves near the bottom looked sort of bronze. Later they died. It has progressed-- the leaves start out going light green/yellow, then they get brown places, then the whole leaf turns brown and dies. It has flowered, but yesterday all the flowers got droopy. They usually pop back open in the late afternoon, but they didn't. I started picking off diseased leaves, but at this point nearly all the leaves are in some stage of disease.

I don't think it's clematis wilt because most of my research says clematis wilt happens "almost overnight" and this has been progressing for weeks. I started digging into the soil to look at the roots for signs of nematodes, and there were quite a few of what I think are maggots. I know where they came from; I saw them in the manure that I mixed in, but I didn't think they would be a problem (that may have been dumb, but I'm not an experienced gardener yet).

It is mulched, but I'm not sure that it's getting quite enough sun. However, it's getting the same amount that it was when it was so healthy.

Took leaves to 2 garden centers. One told me that it looked like burns (but it hasn't been exposed to any chemicals). Another said it was too wet/too much moisture fluctuation. It has been raining about once a week here, and I have not supplemented that.

This plant is very sentimental to me. My dad planted it a few weeks before he died, so I really, really don't want to lose it! I've tried to give tons of information. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting