Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeysuckle disease?????

Posted by ChandraLynne (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 05 at 21:20

my honeysuckle vine has black spots on the leaves and gray stuff growing on the flower heads. the leaves are wilting and the flowers are moldy looking. what is this and how do I get rid of it? It's new - I just planted it last fall.

thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeysuckle disease?????

Holy crap, the same thing is happening to mine!!! It was gorgeous earlier, but it's got the same thing! I have two other honeysuckles that are doing fine...

o

Sounds like Powdery Mildew. There are a number of cultivars that are prone to it. Last year my Goldflame was covered in it as well as my peony. This year it seems to be okay. The weather often plays a factor in how bad it will be that year. You can spray with anything labeled for PM or try the Cornell formula as a spray (or equivalent which I think is baking soda in water with some Ultrafine Horticultural oil and Murphy's oil soap as a sticker).

o

My two Honeysuckles used to have the same problem until I learned that the aphids which overwinter on the vines cause the black gunk which in turn causes the fungal diseases such as mildew etc. Now I dormant oil spray mine every year before the leaves break out and I never have a problem now.

o

Mine developed the powdery mildew the first year. Then I read somewhere that spraying a solution of 50% water with 50% non-fat milk would control powdery mildew and it worked like a miracle!

Now suddenly it's leave are yellowed and spotted. I assumed at first it was the mildew again, but upon closer inspection saw there are 1/8 inch wide "trails" through the leaves, as if some kind of insect has tunneled through them. But when I looked on the backside of the leaves there's no evidence of the trails.

Anyone have a clue what kind of bug would do this and what to do to control them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here