Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question on American Wysteria

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

I bought a bare root Wysteria from Niche Gardens (with whom I always have very good experiences!). I repotted the plant into a larger pot and it has really taken off.

However I've noticed that at times the leaves seem very 'droopy'. I've been taking care not to overwater it...and I usually check it every day to keep an eye on it....check the soil. When I saw it was droopy the first time I thought maybe I was overwatering it, so I waited a bit longer before I watered it again. Once I watered it again, the leaves picked up. Now I see they are drooping again already. Maybe I've been watering it far too little...maybe these need constantly moist soil?

As for sun, it gets indirect sun all day, and then from 2-7p it's full sun.

Tx!

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't think wisteria needs to be constantly moist but you may just need a bigger pot to hold enough moisture for your plant all day. Water until it runs out of the drain holes. If that doesn't cause the pot to be significantly heavier, the soil may be hydrophobic (repelling moisture instead of absorbing it) from excessive amounts of peat.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks purpleinopp. It's weird because I thought I had posted a reply to you earlier but now I don't see it. In any case my plant is already in a very good size pot and I do always water it until water comes out the bottom. If the soil may be 'hydrophobic' as you say, what might cause that and what can one do to remedy it? I used a potting soil that is an organic blend of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, and perlite and then I added some additional perlite as well.

As I've been observing my plant another thing I seem to be noticing is that....the leaves seem to droop more at certain times, and then perk up on their own without my doing anything to the plant. Is it possible that the leaves droop a bit at night...in the dark (which is when I think I am seeing more of the droopiness?) and that they perk up again during the day/sunlight?

Or maybe the leaves on this plant are always normally very delicate looking...almost 'dangling' at times? They just don't look as strong and firm as most other plants I have.

• Freda
    11 years ago

You said you added additional perlite. Is it possible that the water is draining thru the pot too fast for the peat to absorb the water. I find that once peat dries out it is hard to get it to absorb water so I usually put the potted plant in a bigger container of water for it to absorb the water thoroughly.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I don't know that that is the problem as...when I water it, it is not like I see water immediately coming through the bottom. I have to really give it quite a bit of water before it does that which makes me think it is in fact absorbing the water first....

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I don't know that that is the problem as...when I water it, it is not like I see water immediately coming through the bottom. I have to really give it quite a bit of water before it does that which makes me think it is in fact absorbing the water first....

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio