Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helping finding an Indoor vine to grow up a trellis

Posted by hugh384 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 22:16

Hello!,

Im looking for an easy beginner vine that I can grow on a indoor trellis and an explanation on how i can get the vine to attach itself and grow up the trellis. I was at looking Philodendron scandens because it relativly fool proof but would love and suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helping finding an Indoor vine to grow up a trellis

Hoya carnosa is very tolerant of neglect and can be twined onto a trellis. Fragrant flowers.

o

Some vines will attach to a trellis, some won't. It depends on what method they use to cling or climb. Some have tendrils, those will climb a trellis. Some climb by twining and twisting, such as morning glory or wisteria, those can climb a trellis. Philodendrons, pothos, Boston and English Ivy all climb by means of small roots that cling to rough surfaces such as bark or brick, those wouldn't be able to climb a smooth trellis made of metal, finished wood, or plastic, you would need to periodically clip or tie the vine to the trellis.

o

While it won't flower indoors without a lot of sun, Porcelain Plants, aka Wax Plants, grow thick and lush up a trellis with very little effort on your part.

o

Porcelain Plant/Wax Plant is the Hoya carnosa I recommended originally. Mine flowers indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here