Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflower Giant White

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 23:05

I bought seeds the other day. Do I have to nick the seeds and soak it in water before I direct sow them?

Also, is it late for me to plant it especially I'm in zone 5a? Will it still bloom?

Does anyone have a picture of it in pot? This is what I am planning to do.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflower Giant White

If you are talking about Ipomoea alba I file and soak or just soak the seeds. I kind of doubt that you'll get blooms before the first frost in your zone starting them now. Even when I start seeds early I don't get flowers until August and I'm in 7a. What you can do to get early blooms next season is to start the seeds now and winter the vine over inside. I cut it back and take it inside or put it in the greenhouse. I've kept it under HID lights and have had it blooming thru the winter but it does get big and attracts aphids and other pests when wintered over. I think it's easier to just keep the vine cut back. You can use a regular grow or bright flourescent light to just keep it alive over the winter. I don't do this every year but have done it several times and usually get blooms beginning in late spring.

o

I don't see any Ipomoea alba written on the packet. This is the exact same packet I have right. Glad I found a picture on google :)

o

That certainly looks like Ipomoea alba and I'm guessing that's what it is. Maybe Ron will chime in. He's the morning glory god. lol

o

That is Ipomoea alba. I got the same kind at Wal-Mart for $1. I've been growing them for the past few years and I don't get blooms until late in the season too. I planted some and now I bought another pack for backup. I had great germination sucess this year using this method: place the seeds in a moist paper towel and put the towel in a plastic sandwich baggie. Then I put the baggie in a bright window and they started sprouting a week later. This was the first time using this method. They do like sun and can be grown in pots. I heard not to fertilize them because you'll get more leaves than flowers. Not that it matters for me, though. Last year, only two or three flowers managed to bloom before cold weather set in. Good luck with your moonflowers!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Give them a try. You really have nothing to lose but a few seeds and the time starting the seeds.

I'm in zone 5 about 20 minutes from the NH border and mine bloom in August and keep going right through till the frost gets them.

I've never been able to keep MG or moonflower vines over winter in my house. The dry heat is just too much for them and don't have space for light setup indoors.

I soak the seeds over night for about 12 hours before sowing them. I don't do anything else to the seeds.

I put the seeds in one of the little ziplock baggies, fill with fairly warm water, zip them closed and leave them for about 4 hours. Then drain out all the water and add more fairly warm water again and leave them till the next day when I'm ready to sow the seeds.

They don't germinate until the weather gets warm and we've had some really crazy cool temps so I would think with the warm weather predicted after today, you will get germination within a week or 2 and then they will grow quickly.

I grow my moonflower vines, the same packet as yours in 10 inch pots with miracle grow potting mix for the soil and put a bit of bark mulch on the top to hold out weeds and keep moisture in the pot and place them in full sun beside my back step railings and twine the vines up the railing.

Even last year, with the cold, raw summer that we had from June through July with mostly rain, my moonflower vines bloomed from mid August till Oct.

The only thing I don't get is seeds from them for next year.

You should fill a 10 inch pot with miracle grow potting mix and soak the soil well and sow one seed in the pot. Cover the soil with either some plastic wrap or a plastic and put it in the sun.
This way, you will be ahead of the game in potting the vine when it germinates.
You could put 2-3 seeds in one pot and then move the vines to a pot of their own once they germinate, also.

But, I'd go for it, As I said, you have nothing to lose by trying them and at best you get flowers, at worst you have a pretty vine.

Fran

o

moonwolf/littleonefb,

Ah, similar to what I did with dianthus seeds 2 years ago. :D

Thanks Fran for all the tips! I will defintely follow your advice! ;)

o

I looked at the soaked seeds today. It's like to explode, LOL! So looks like I can direct sow it now on a pot.

o

I'm going to plant them tomorrow. Check this out after 48 hours of soaking them. I just used regular water and placed them in my them. No sunlight also. All of them germinated. :D Woohoo!!!

I was planning of putting 3 seeds beside my Sunburst Honeylocust tree. What do you think folks?

o

Good job! Those are the roots coming out of the seeds. Mine sprouted the same way. I had to start some more because the others rotted from too much rain. This time, they're going in a planter trellis with morning glories. I've grown MGs with MFs for the past five years and it's always a great combination! Congrats! Just you wait until they flower....they smell sooooo good!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Mindor problem, I can't find some nice looking planter in my garage. I have those 5g black plastic pots and I am not sure if wife is going to like it.

Thanks! :D

o

Nice job with the seeds. Mine looked the same as well after 12 hours of soaking them.

You don't need that large a pot for them. I seed in a 10 inch pot will do the trick.

That's what I grow mine in and all my MG that go in pots. Used that size for my moonflower vines as well.

Fran

o

Will they reach at least 10 to 15 ft in my area?

o

That kind of depends on mother nature and what she has in store for us this late spring and summer.

If it's anything like Southern New England had in weather last summer, you will be luck to get 3 feet.

All we had was cold, cold, cold and rain in various amounts, but constant rain 24/7 for 2 solid months.
My seedlings stayed at about 6 -10 inches for all of June and July. August finally turned out warm and sunny, to hot.

With no warning the moonflower vines started to grow and grow. It was as if they where growing right in front of my face as I looked at them and 2 reached about 4-5 feet, and the other 2 reached about 2 feet.

BUT, they all bloomed with plenty of flowers, non stop from about mid August till the frost got them.

The only thing I never get from my vines is seeds. we just don't have a long enough blooming time for them to set seeds and ripen for us.

But, they are easy enough to buy and they give you plenty in the packets.

Now the year before last, we had rain for only 1 month, and then it was beautiful growing season for the rest of the summer.

I had 2 vines growing up the back stairs winding them around the railings, 1 plant in a 10 inch pot.

Hubby had nightmares that the vine would encase the house and kill us, because it got so big.

At one point I had to cut the vine back because it was so huge and covering the top of the railing so much that we had no top railing to use.

Fran

o

Nice story Fran! :D

I remember the weather last year. It only warmed up for 1 week. It was the last week of August and after that week, it became cold again.

I'm just hoping that it will do fine in morning sun then afternoon shade.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for sharing your story!

o

The leaves are coming out! :)

o

Good morning folks.

The height of my moonflower is 28 inches as of yesterday. I didn't include the pot's height. Looks like it grows like 1-2" a day.

At this height for this date, is my moonflower behind?

o

GREAT!! Happy to hear you planted the seeds after all! I have 2 planted in the ground that I started indoors in peat pots. Mine usually don't bloom until sometime in August. GOOD LUCK!!
They die when it gets too cold & I just start seeds again the following year! The vines in the gound are really taking off!

o

Glad I checked this forum. :D

Mine is almost 9-10 ft now :D WOOHOO!!!

I'll take pictures tonight. No blooms yet.

o

Just an update, I had 2 blooms already!! We are having a heat wave in Philly, they must LOVE it!

o

Sorry to keep you waiting guys. Here it is. Still no blooms.

o

A good reason to save seeds , because if you get one that flowers early in your area , the seeds will tend to produce more plants that flower earlier...

Every-time you get new seeds (from a different source) , you never really know what conditions it has been acclimated to...so save the seeds from stabilized early flowering strains...

o

• Posted by edie_h 5 NY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 1:32

Those of you who have had moonflower (ipomoea alba) set seed - did it bloom again afterwards? Does it die after seed ripens?

I bought the same packet at Wal-Mart. I started mine early under lights. I got two blossoms in May. It hasn't bloomed since, but does have two seed pods which have been hanging out for the past couple of months. I do have more than one vine in the basket, but they are so entwined I can't tell whether both pods belong to the same vine. I kept thinking maybe I should cut them off, the way I deadhead petunias to promote rebloom, but was tempted by the prospect of saving my own moonflower seeds. Yesterday I noticed that one of the pods is finally beginning to dry and turn brown. The vines loved our hot spell and doubled in length this month, but I see no sign of flower buds. Until this week the cotyledons were still attached and green; I've never seen a plant keep them so long. Now the oldest leaves are yellowing and falling off. It looks too autumnal for my comfort. Could they be hungry?

Seeds: $1 at Wal-Mart
Hot weather: Free
More flowers on my moonflower: priceless.

Please help!

-Edie

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of seed pod

o

I started growing Moon flowers 4 seasons ago. First year I managed one or two blooms in late Sept before the cold got them. The next year, blooms in Aug. Last year bloomed in late July and I FINALLY got my own seeds, but..... None seem to be any good. So this year my start was really late (I had been starting inside earlier and earlier each year). I also tried pots instead of in the ground. They just have not worked out at all and I don't even expect any blooms. But I purposely put one in a big (16 inch) pot with plans of bring it in this winter and seeing if I can keep it alive at least to get an early, EARLY start next year. I'd really like to get my own seeds.

But I have a question.... Mine have never had ANY fragrance at all. I have several other 'fragrant' flowers that are not fragrant for me. I bought violas this spring and thought 'Oh. They smell so nice'. In no time at all, they no longer smelled. This is the first year I have really taken an interest in gardening and I am just learning. I know next to nothing at this point so take that into consideration. I'm guessing I'm missing something with the soil or fertilizer?

o
RE: Moonvine both strain and minerals play a part in fragrance

Ron recommends that :

1) be sure to get your seeds from someone in your climate zone who has verified that the strain they have is fragrant

2) be sure to add some minerals to the growing medium both macro and micro-nutrients because the type of essential aromatic oils produced by many plants are dependent on particular minerals which if not present may impede the fragrance of plants...

Believe it or not...

o

I planted two moon flowers this spring. The were in little pots.
Both grew very large but I had no flowers on one, and one flower on the other one.
How come?

o

Thank you, Ron.

1) All of my Moon Flower seeds have been from packets from the store. Any suggestions on how to locate someone in my area or at least my zone that I could get seeds from? I often wondered if a different source for seeds might make a difference.

2) I have been working on adding to my soil for all my plants this year. This is the first year I have really worked at gardening and it didn't take much to figure out I had lousey soil (MO clay). Hoepfully that will lead to many improvemnts for all my plants.

o

YAY! WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

My first bloom!!! :D

o

Very exciting Neil!

I tried moonflowers this year, direct sowing them back in June along an 8' fence section. They took off in no time and have completely covered the fence. :-)

I was checking on it last night and noticed that it is COVERED with buds. What a show it will be!!

o

my moonflower is thin. I am not sure why. I even have 3 vines per pot. The leaves also wilted quickly. Wilts every 2 days. Did you plant yours directly in ground?

o
Your moonflower

hostarookie,

I would like to see how they look when thick. Can you post some pictures please? I'm so excited too!!! :D

o

Neil,

I'm at work right now but I'll post new pictures this weekend.

Here's a pic that was taken the beginning of August. Three days later it was completely covered, front & back!

Emily

Moon Flower 8.7.10

o

That is so beautiful!!! So maybe, my small pot is the culprit. It could be the main reason why it is thin. What do you think?

o
how many seeds?

Forgot to ask, how many seeds did you plant by the fence?

o

It was probably 10 seeds spread out across the length of the fence. I honestly don't remember counting but it wasn't more than that.

I've always thought that things do better when planted in the ground vs. a pot. Just my opinion...

Emily

o

my MF lost about 70% of the leaves. It turned yellow. Did yours experience it?

o

Here it is now... :-)

I haven't lost any leaves at all. I did notice last night they were just a tad bit wilty but I'm sure it was due to the 98 degree temp yesterday. They were perked back up this morning when I took this pic, which isn't the best because I used my phone camera.

o

Anymore changes with your moonflower Neil? Do you have any pictures to post?

o

The flower bud died. I noticed the wasps were feasting over it. I see new buds but I haven't seen any bloom. :(

I don't have any new picture. I've almost forgotten all my plants since I'm so busy with my patio project. :)

o

I saw my first bloom this morning but I didn't take a pic since I was so busy with my patio project. I looked at it around 7:30pm after my work at the patio, the flower is already wilted. I still took a pic of it. I sniffed it for 5 seconds but I didn't smell any.

o

Arrived home around 8:30pm today and was so glad to see a another bloom. I would highly suggest not to plant moonflower in pots. It's very hard to maintain. It seldom flowers. I'm not going to do it this way next year. I will directly sow them to the ground.

Here is a pic I took an hour ago. The scent isn't really strong. I had to put my nose as close to the flower. It smells like soap. I love the smell. I also love the scent of datura. They're different.

o

V1rtu0s1ty - love your moonflower photo - that shadowed silhouette of the overall vine makes your moonflower look all the more mysterious.

karen

o

Thanks Karen! Tonight, I'll be taking a picture of the Datura. I have a strong feeling it will open tonight! :)

o

No luck with the datura :(

Anways, how do we harvest seed from moonflower?

o

v1rtu0s1ty, there's a great picture of moonvine seedpods in the following link, about 1/3 the way down. The seeds should be brown and crispy before you harvest them. Pretty garden, huh? http://annieinaustin.blogspot.com/2008/12/its-still-autumn-in-austin.html

With your vine in a pot, you'll be able to bring it in to ripen any seedpod indoors after frost that may form - quite an advantage to having it in the ground this late as far north as you are. (Although, some years I bring in stems with immature pods from my moonvine where I can continue ripening them indoors after frost in water with just a tad of hydrogen peroxide (H202) added. The H202 helps to oxygenate the water and slows down formation of slime - nice to water pots with from the bottom, too)

Is your pot outside where it can be pollinated at night by moths for seedpods? If you wanted to, you could do some pollinating yourself to speed seedpod formation along. Just swish pollen from an anther onto the pistil - a brush will do, or break off the stigma that has the pollen-laden anthers on it with tweezers and brush the pollen across the pistil like that.

I googled up a picture of moonvine (Ipomoea alba) anthers and pistil that can be found in the following link, which I strongly recommend that folks reading this thread bookmark as a very useful reference - http://botany.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxcnv.htm .

Scroll down to Ipomoea alba (Moonvine), and click on Flowers of India;
In the right column, toward the top, click on Flower Parts, and a diagram should come up showing moonvine reproductive parts, labeled.
-----------------
Would love to see your datura blooms when they happen pretty please.

Hope this helps,
karen

o

Thanks for all the information Karen. That is amazing! :)

Here is the datura I took 2 days ago. I had a wrong setting on my camera plus it was so dark. I didn't use the flash. I will retry again next time.

o

Thankx, v1rtu0s1ty - that's beautiful - looks like a Harvest Moon :)

karen

o

You're welcome Karen! :)

From this experience, they don't bloom that much when planted in pots.

o

I'm trying to determine if these are the seed pods. I know they aren't ripe if so...

Moonflower pod - 10.7.10

Moonflower pod - 10.7.10

Moonflower pod - 10.7.10

o

My moonflower is dying :(

o

Sorry Neil, I hate to hear that!! Mine continues to grow and flower like crazy!

I'm hoping to hear back from someone to know if those are seed pods... if so, I'd be happy to share some with you so you can try again next year.

o
RE: Ipomoea alba moonvine and issues related to ripening seedpods

hostarookie - The structures that look like seedpods in the photo that you posted above are indeed seedpods...

I've attached a link of a google search that includes some previous posts including a post with links to what the seedpods look like at different stages of ripeness...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Goggle search for Ron_Convolvulaceae posts and cache of relevant links

o

Thanks Ron for confirming!!

The link you posted came up with "vase mush mature" results. lol I'd defintely be interested in finding the post with links that reflects the different stages of ripeness if you can find the post/link for it. I've searched myself but haven't found anything that was much help.

Neil, I'll post a current picture later on today. It's unreal how well this vine has done for me! I'm hoping that the pods will have time to ripen before a frost... it's pretty late and the temps have already started dropping around here. FINGERS CROSSED!! :-)

Emily

o
RE: Ipomoea moonvines assisted ripening and seedpod maturity

hostarookie - The system truncated the link I posted , so the results were not as I intended...

There is at least one other gardening related site which is not allowed to be mentioned on here due to some conflicts...

Try the new google search result link that I have attached and click onto the google cache of the results to bring up and scroll through the relevant linked threads...

Hope that helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ron_Convolvulaceae google results for assisted ripening and seedpod maturity

o

The picture above, of the seeds sprouting, is that the color of the seeds when they are dried? Yellowish? I have a feeling I have the wrong seeds - mine are black like peppercorns. Should I just throw them out? They NEVER sprout. Thanks

Donna

o
RE: Moonflower Giant White - not sprouting

No need to reply - I threw them out. No wonder they never sprouted!

o

I have started a couple of moonflower plants inside, this is the set up I have and I also have 6 seeds in a baggie with water. Would I be better off with another flourescent bulb? The little pot has some in it too, but they have not come up yet. I had them in the windowsill but it gets cold there so I moved them here on my desk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 13:15

They will grow ok under fluorescent light. You don't want them growing at full tilt growth or they'll take over your house hahaha.

I grew Ipomoea alba for the first time last year. I enjoyed it very much. I bought a plant however and did not grow from seed. I will try it from a seed next time I want to grow it.

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 15:51

I planted three white moonflower plants last year mixed in with hyacinth beans and blue Heavenly Morning Glorys in a 30 gal container and it was BEAUTIFUL. I saved seeds from each of them. I was just wonderiing has anyone tried to grow the moonflowers down? by down I mean just let them flop down and not grow up? I would like to try that this year on my from porch. I have a 6 foot wire shelve attached to my brick wall on my front porch and I was thinking about planting the moonflowers and letting them drape down instead of climbing up... I have plenty of others climbing up trellises eles where, was just trying to cover up a brick wall? anyone tryed this before?

o

The Ipomoea alba will only drape 'so far' before it tries to grab onto whatever it can to climb back up again...it will eventually climb back up itself (up the same dropping stem) if there is nothing else for it to twine upon...

There are some Ipomoea nil that are true trailers (they are called shidare) and they will fall or drape over anything , but they are still relatively rare outside of Japan...

o

Oh well, I did a boo-boo, I put several moonflower vine seeds in a clay pot, can't remember how many, and they are sprouting like crazy, I have two seedlings up and out of the soil and 5 more coming up quickly. I have a question, will these moonflowers bloom inside or will I just have a pretty vine until I put it outside. Here is the picture, I thought I would let them all twine together and make a big happy mess, what do you think?

o
RE:Clay dries out fast

Some aspects to consider...

The short days of sunlight are what triggers the plant into flowering.

You might get lucky if the plants were able to reach a blooming size before the days get too long.

The plants will likely be stunted to some degree if you keep them all in that small clay pot.

Clay tends to cause the growing medium to dry out very quickly.

You might want to consider a larger size container in addition to a different container material with a water reservoir underneath it to help maintain moisture levels.

What are you going to use for a trellis and what will support the trellis when the plants get larger (?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here