Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinahollywood

Newbie! Help! My Mexican Flame Vine is sad. Pictures

tinahollywood
15 years ago

Hello Garden Forum!

I'm a huge fan of the kitchen forum which has helped me enormously. Thought I'd check out the garden forum and I'm HOOKED! Great advice and very nice people.

Thought someone might have some suggestions for our weary Mexican Flame Vine. We planted it about a year and a half ago to give us (and our neighbors) some privacy. We hoped the vines would cover our fencing within two years, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I don't have a "big picture" shot, but trust me, they are scraggley.

We have five vines -- four in the ground, one in a pot. They get good strong sun and are watered 3-4 times a week. We fertilize every two months (X-16?).

So what gives? The weather here in California (I'm in Los Angeles) has been crazy -- sudden fluxes between hot (95 degrees) and cold (40 degrees -- I know, that's not really cold). It's been like that since January, pretty much.

Any ideas of what we might do to improve the situation? We're thinking of adding a different vine to the mix (Morning Glory? Honeysuckle?). Please help!

Thanks for your insight!

Tina

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm