Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen Clematis Types

Posted by sp0ng3r (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 0:21

I am looking for an Evergreen Vine, and it seems like the Clematis variety is my best bet. I am looking for limited to no mess/shedding of leaves, full sun capability, and it needs to be evergreen. I am looking to plant a vine on a cross hatched fence, and also on an overhang.

I am concerned with a couple other details such as too much fragrance, and also poison. I can not have this vine be too fragrant as my wife is very sensitive to smells (good or bad), and also we have a dog, and I am not looking to kill it with a newly placed vine.

I am very open to any other species that would offer the same capability of privacy, little mess, evergreen, and climbing capability.

Flowers are preferred to be a shade of purple, but it is not necessary or a requirement.

I am not sure what types of Clematis to get. Every one I see or research states that is is either poison or extremely fragrant.

I do live in Southern California where it never gets below 40 at night, and rarely reaches 100 in the day. The normal temps are the mid 70's all year round.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen Clematis Types

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 17:34

Like most other plants evergreen clematis generates spent parts. The petals fall after the annual mass flowering, and the dead leaves pile up inside the vine over time. This is a problem when it is used on trellises or other intimate locations, the more so when this vigorous vine is not kept pruned and trained to have an open, graceful structure. Where allowed to bunch up in a confined space quite a pile of dead leaves develops inside of it.

Clematis are not poisonous. If a poisonous plant is planted the dog has to eat it to be affected. No garden center will be offering something producing acute contact dermatitis under ordinary circumstances.

If you let loose of the evergreen requirement then you can plant a non-fragrant deciduous hybrid clematis with showy purple flowers, such as the popular 'Jackmanii'.

o

Since I am looking for privacy, I would prefer the vine to stay green all year. I don't want my privacy to have to be a wood tangle that offers me no security from the outside world. :)

o

I would suggest trying a vine from the family Bignoniaceae.

Lavender Trumpet Vines (Clytostoma callistegioides) might be worth checking into. I live in the Sacramento area and have two of these and they are doing great. I have them growing up a stockade fence that I built a trellis on

There are a number of other Bignoniaceae evergreen vines that you may want to check out. Unfortunately many of these are in the red color family. If that doesnt bother you check out

Distictis buccinatoria-Scarlet trumpet vine
Bignonia capreolata - crossvine (Many cultivars)

Also check out Pandorea jasminoides - bower vine. I have a pink/lavendar cultivar but there may be some others more on the purple side.

Most of these can be found at Lowes, Home Depot or local nurseries

I hope that helps & good luck.

o

I am in zone 8 and I am looking for an evergreen floweing vine. Please help me.

o

Since you live in a warm climate, the following vine might work for you. If interested, Google it and see if you can find some full view photos of it growing on a support. The following description was taken from a plant vendor I use. I've got one ordered but have no personal experience to date.

Thunbergia grandiflora, clock vine

From __Garden Flowers - plants

is a zone 8 perennial twining, flowering vine native to India. The tubular flowers of clock vine are about 3" long, sky blue to light violet, and are borne in clusters. Leaves are leathery and have a distinctive elongated heart shape. The plant grows fast in warm weather, easily covering a trellis or large section of fence in one season. Growth slows or stops in cool termperatures, and the top is killed to the ground after a freeze. In FROST FREE climates, it is evergreen. Clock vine favors quite rich, organic soil and needs structural support. It may need to be cut back often to control direction or size, or it can be allowed to roam free. Grow in full sun to shade. In hot summers, prefers afternoon or shifting shade. Provide moderate moisture. As a floral specimen, use both leaves and blossoms in arrangements. Outdoors as a perennial, plant alongside cannas, interspersed with ferns and hostas, or near a water feature, use as a house plant in zones where the ground freezes. Clock vine is an easy to care for plant that can quickly cover a fence or pergola. The gorgeously showy flowers and lush foliage make this a choice addition to any garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here