Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

This year's 'Blue Moon' Wisteria pics.

arctictropical
11 years ago

Year after year, this wisteria performs flawlessly.

Comments (13)

• kandhi
    11 years ago

This is my bluemoon wisteria this year. Very happy with it. I bought it in 1gal size last year which was 2ft tall, it grew this big in just one year and bloomed very well. Love this variety. The pic was taken aften rain on cloudy day and the colors are so vibrant.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Kandhi. Your pic is awesome! Very nice color. It's a great plant, isn't it!

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Arctictropical, You may not know this but I was inspired to buy this wiseria looking at your 'blue moon' wisteria pics from previous postings last year. I searched on web to find a reputable online nursery and bought this plant last year. Within one year it grew this big and I am very happy to have it. thanks to you..

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Arctictropical, You may not know this but I was inspired to buy this wiseria looking at your 'blue moon' wisteria pics from previous postings last year. I searched on web to find a reputable online nursery and bought this plant last year. Within one year it grew this big and I am very happy to have it. thanks to you..

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kandhi.... we sat under the wisteria this evening on the bench, and just enjoyed the fragrance. It was wonderful! Here's an updated pic. It's a little washed out because I took it in the middle of the day in very bright sunlight.

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Arctictropical, That must be wonderful and I can imagine sitting and sipping tea/coffee on that swing.. Do you think few years down the road the vine would take our the swing? Have you trimmed it anytime? I heard that if we trim it to 5-7 they bloom well next year. I do not want the vine to take over all the deck, that's why I want to trim it carefully and have a structure..

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi. This wisteria has really not grown out of control like its Asian cousins. I really don't prune that much off in the Spring - just enough to make it look good. I understand that it helps to prune Asian wisteria like you do a fruit tree, but this American wisteria doesn't need that. I give it some high phosphate fertilizer in the Spring, and that's about it! Yours look SO good on your deck.

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Based upon the enthusiasm, this plant got on my want list, as a sane alternative to the oriental wisterias.
    In a big pot until it is tall enough to get to the light coming through a deck fence around a deck 4-5feet off the ground. A Holly tree shades right up to the deck and there would be too much shade to just plant the Wisteria and expect it to reach up to the fence. Will not mind if it runs up into Holly. Surely fits many a recommendation for vines, in having roots in the shade and top in the Sun.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bogturtle... I think your idea will work! Hopefully it will get enough sun to bloom for you. Good luck!

• kandhi
    11 years ago

bogturtle, I agree with arctictripical, the plant requires sun to bloom, all my 3 types of wisteria's are in sunny location and bloom very well. I maintain 2 others in pots, 1 managed it to become a tree form and the other japanese white one, I am trying to make it into tree form. Below are my other wisteria pics.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great pics, Kandhi!

• Ligaya
    11 years ago

I'm new to this site, I'm glad I found it:) great pics guys! My hubby is building me a pergola, and planning to plant wisteria once it's done:)

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ligaya.... as you may know by now, in my opinion, 'Blue Moon' would be a great choice!