Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amethyst Falls Questions

Posted by garett OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 0:56

I am thinking of planting an Amethyst Falls plant and letting it grow up the post of my front porch. This would be the first ivy i have ever planted so I have a couple of questions.

Would I need to plant this in pot or should I put in directly in my garden. Also, will I need to help guide it somehow in the direction I want it to grow? Finally, when would be the best time to plant? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amethyst Falls Questions

Amethyst Falls is a variety of wisteria. I've never heard of Amethyst Falls ivy.
Karyn

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 arbor day (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 10:46

I just planted an Amethyst Falls wisteria in the side yard .. the plan is that it will climb up a wooden swing set that the grandkids no longer use.
If the wisteria is what you're talking about, better make sure the post is really strong... these things get BIG and heavy.

o

Sorry about my mistake with terminology. I am in the vine forum, so I am talking about the vine.

Everything I have read about(and seen pictures of) suggest that this cultivar is much smaller and tamer than the asian forms of wisteria. Some even call it a dwarf plant. Does anyone know specifically how big it can get?

o

Mine are climbing up 20' wooden light posts and made it to the top in a few years then they just started growing back down. I have no problem with the Amethyst Falls becoming invasive or sending out runners. If a branch drops to the soil it will root but it's easily pulled up. It's later than the other varieties to put out foliage and blooms but IMO it's well worth the wait. I think the flowers are much prettier and after the initial flush of flowers they'll continue to bloom sporatically throughout the summer. I have a few blooms on mine right now.
Karyn

o

I'm trying to cover 35 feet of 6 ft sturdy fencing. How far apart do I plant Amethyst Falls wisteria plants? Once established how much water do they need?
Thanks!

o

I think 2 vines about 15' apart should cover the fence in a couple years. Once my plants were established I virtually ignored them. I've never given them supplemental water, even during a drought and I've never fertilized them. They grow beautifully and produce loads of blooms but they've never produced any seed pods.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here