Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does wisteria bloom?

Posted by jerryngeorgia31557 8 (jerryfkimbrell@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 1:27

I had someone send me a wisteria in trade as a bonus and was wondering when it might bloom. It is only about 12 tall and sending out shoots. I have had people tell me 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and 10 yrs. I am not sure what kind it is but would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does wisteria bloom?

If it is an oriental variety that blooms on old wood, you never know. I've had one for about 10 years and it has not bloomed yet. After extensively studying the subject, the following suggestions may help. To help it bloom earlier, make sure it gets plenty of sunlight. Don't give it any nitrogen fertilizer, only phosphate. Prune it in the Spring like you would an apple tree, cutting all of the vines back to a couple of buds. Mid-summer, cut the vines back by a third to a half. Some people root prune and/or strike the lower area of the vines hard with a garden hose or something similar to stress the plant, which sometimes forces it to bloom. The best remedy is to plant an American Variety which blooms on new wood. I have grown the "Blue Moon" Variety because of it's extreme hardiness. I had blooms on the 1 gallon plants that I purchased on-line. Here is the picture of it in it's second year. This year it is now covered with flower buds and is just starting to bloom.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here