Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Newbie has questions re: Boston Ivy and Honeysuckle

kimcoco
15 years ago

Hi all,

In the past four years, we've basically landscaped our property twice-over since the first time we were absolutely clueless as to what we were doing. The local nursery staff knows us by name, and they shake their heads whenever they see us. They think we live on a HUGE lot, but we are actually on less than 1/4 acre. LOL.

As an example of my "duh" moments, I planted bulbs upside down this year. The only reason I discovered my error is because my neighbor did the same thing, and told me about her mistake. We both had to laugh.

I'm still learning.

I purchased some Boston Ivy - originally planning on planting them in pots to climb up an obelisk. I've changed my mind on the planting pots, and now I'm thinking of planting them on our fenceline. We have a wooden fence - we installed a couple of years ago and the fence itself will not be a permanent structure - we'll be replacing in about 5 years or so (it was a quick do-it-yourself weekend job on a major fixer-upper home). My plan is to keep the ivy off of my house - so I'm planting the ivy towards the middle of the fence (midway between my house and the end of the yard). Will ivy choke out any other plants, or is my only concern with where the vine trails off to?

Neighbor (same neighbor who planted bulbs upside down) has a very pretty honeysuckle vine on the side of her house climbing up a trellis. Are honeysuckle vines invasive? I want to plant on a trellis next to my gutter along my house. Any reason I should NOT do this? What are the pros and cons with the honeysuckles? Again, do I need to be concerned with it choking out any surrounding plants? I want to plant some perennial flowers at the base of the vine in this same area.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments (2)