Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Ivy

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 1:38

Will all ivy climb eventually, even the miniture varieties? I want some to climb the brick wall of my house but don't want the normal big wamping kind that tend to take over. The minis seem really neat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Ivy

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:49

Yes., especially in your climate should survive winter and keep on growing.

o

I live in a semi~detached home in Ontario, Canada. Our neighbour plant Ivy a number of years ago. Last year this plant started coming through the fence, also, it is growing along the aluminium siding and along the eaves through. Yesterday I pulled all that I could reach off the wall. I then took a razor blade and scraped the "suckers" off the wall and ended up washing the entire back wall of our 2 story home. My questions is this: How do I prevent this from growing back on our side of the house?
Thank you.

o

Firstly, is it definitely Ivy? Hedera helix, common ivy, doesn't have suckers it has aerial rootlets. Suckers, ie little sticky pads, sounds more like a Parthenocissus of some sort eg Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy. Ivy is evergreen, the Parthenocissus are deciduous.

You can't prevent it other than trimming it the minute it creeps onto your territory. Or you could try negotiating with the neighbour about removing the whole thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here