Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning question for a Honeysuckle 'Mandarin Orange'

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 5:20

I moved a Honeysuckle 'Mandarin Orange' from too much shade into a more sunny location. It managed the move nicely and has a few blossoms on it ready to open. Since it was growing in the shade for the past 3 years without blooming, I'm happy about that, but the bottom of the vine is bare and leggy. I'm considering cutting the vine back to the ground after it blooms to encourage new growth from the base and eliminate the leggy appearance. Does anyone have any experience with that? I don't want to kill my vine, or wait another 3 years for it to bloom. I'm also wondering if cutting it all the way back to the ground is the only way to get rid of the bare bottom branches? If I prune it back to lower green growth, it's not going to cause new growth on the lower bare branches next year, is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here