Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

American Wisteria- to keep or to shovel-prune?

brandyray
11 years ago

I bought an American Wisteria about 4 yrs ago. I watched it grow up my deck (6 ft off the ground) and stretch. However, I started thinking about getting rid of it last yr. It's really messy; now this year, there are little round hard-shelled flying bugs all along stems (they smell somewhat like a stinkbug), and some kind of yellow caterpillar/worm eating the leaves. Also, I'm worried it will eventually damage the deck spindles (sp?). If you have experience w/ American wisteria, what do you think about them? If I shovel-prune it, what vine would you suggest? (Something non-invasive) Thanks, Brandy

Comments (4)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Here in PA, Am. Wisteria (Wisteria frutescens) gets few pests. So far as messy, you must mean the spent flowers? The vine that wraps around spindles won't break them, but the eventual weight might take them out of place.

What do I think about mine? It is a nice vine that sprawls over a Buddleia. Unlike the Asian varieties, the American vine does not have underground stolons that pop up in the next town over. The American ones make long low vines that root if left to their own agenda, but cutting them off to prevent a mess on the ground beats digging to China to stop new plants.

Any vine traipsed over a railing will eventually weigh down the railing. Unless you plant a small annual vine (Morning Glory, etc.), this will always be a concern.

Other nice vines here include Aristolochia durior (=A. macrophylla). This is one of my favorites. Native, no underground stolons to worry about, almost no pest problems. The one notable leaf muncher is the Pipe Vine Butterfly. The vine grows all summer, unlike many that quit in July. This trait allows it to replace any leaves eaten by the Pipe Vine Butterfly. Flowers are interesting but insignificant, the seed pods are a big, 8-sided elongated bolus. All in all, a nice vine. Not for formal places, not for people who don't want a leafy tangle that hosts alien looking caterpillars.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to plant a clematis (Rubromarginata)at the other end of the deck- maybe I should plant a Carolina Jasmine (jessamine, I think is the correct term) in place of the wisteria... As for messy- I mean the leaves are messy-looking and then they drop all over the deck in the fall. The jessamine has neat little leaves and it is evergreen. Well, there is no rush- I have more than enough to do in the yard and deciding can wait til fall. Meanwhile, I will see what other replies I get...

• msbatt
    11 years ago

Jessamine will make a terrible mess, and it's every bit as aggressive as American wisteria. One's eating my mom's deck and successfully competing with a Silver-Lace Vine and a Sweet Autumn clematis.

I really can't recommend any of these vines for planting on your deck railing. If you want an annual vine with flowers a LOT and gives quick coverage, I'll send you seeds for Ipomoea setosa, Brazilian Morning Glory.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Already pulling up lots and lots of MG volunteers. I did look up the one you mentioned but the bloom is pink- and I much prefer purple or blue. As for the jessamine, I have one in front, but perhaps the clematis will work out- I don't think it is likely to destroy a wooden deck.