Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Moonflower - Giant White question

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

Do you need to nick the seeds or will soaking overnight be enough to start them germinating? I read the package they came in (Burpee) it only says to soak seed overnight (which I did). Now I'm wondering if I should have nicked them first.

Any experience with just soaking overnight and planting this type? Have I wasted my time with presoaking and not nicking them first?

I have 2 other MG's I planted at the same time, Heavenly Blue and Scarlett which have already germinated (I presoaked those as well at the same time as the Moonflower ones).

Julia

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

If the seeds didn't swell I'd file or nick them and soak them overnight again. If they swelled go ahead and plant them. In your zone you might want to consider starting moonvines inside early in the year because they take quite a while to reach blooming size. I'm in zone 7 and I often don't get blooms from plants started from seed until late summer, early fall. The other MG varieties bloom much sooner.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

karyn1: Thank you for the help.
    When I checked today, they did germinate and are showing up through the potting mix at least 1 inch already.I guess the presoaking was enough to get them going. I wish I had done them all earlier but other gardening duties needed my attention.I now need to fabricate something for them to climb up our pergola.

I'm surprised how quickly MG's germinate. I was expecting to wait at least 1 1/2 weeks to see anything but these decided to pop up quickly.

Julia

• Spellbound
    12 years ago

How long does it take for moonflowers to bloom on average? I know Karyn you said not until fall, but does that mean we should count 120 days from germination, 90 days from germination? I wish there were more clear instructions on these things... I have never managed to get a moonflower to bloom, whether I have started them indoors or not.

Also - my understanding is that when my moonflowers burst out of their seeds and show their first huge leaves, there is a fairly long period of time from when the first leaves show to when their "true" leaves come out. This is my experience, but is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

• greenjesse
    12 years ago

I soaked the seeds overnight like the package suggested. Like 4 of them swollen up and the rest didnt. Planted them in the ground and they all came up the same time. This always happens to me. It doesnt seem to matter.

• beckygardener
    12 years ago

I don't pre-soak my seeds and they do tend to take a little longer to germinate. I usually get 95% germination rate. Once they get their first true leaves, they seem to grow fairly rapidly. I use Bloom Booster by MiracleGro every few weeks after they get their first 3-4 true leaves. I typically get blooms around 6 weeks after germination. But I live in zone 9/10 which may contribute to getting blooms so quickly.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will get some Bloom Booster.
    I checked today and Moonflower is just starting to get its second set of leaves starting. I planted all 3 varieties on June 7th. Heavenly Blue and Scarlet already have their second set of leaves.
    I should note that all of these are in pots growing on my patio and they get full sun..all day. I had to plant them in pots since the pergola that I want them to vine up is surrounded by patio pavers that extend out 16+ inches past the pergola.

Julia

Sponsored
Elite Contractors Services Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
DC Metro's Highly Rated Custom Residential Remodeler