Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beansnospam

Calystegia hederacea

beansnospam
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have just bought this very pretty new vine, and then thought I would just check for invasiveness. Turns out it is a member of the morning glory family, a sort of bindweed. I know that morning glory and bindweed are both invasive, but I've never seen this sort around and I find nothing much about it when I google. I live in a climate that can get down to -20C in winter, though it's usually more like -15C. Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

Thanks for answering

Comments (9)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

Hello beano - The Calystegia with the double flowers that is available from the horticultural trade is actually Calystegia pubescens and can be found to be referenced in some of the more updated and accurate Plant reference Files.

The fully double flowered form of Calystegia does not produce any seeds.

The rhizomes do spread underground like the more commonly known Calystegia sepium although I have found it to be not as vigorous as the Calystegia sepium.

You could try growing it in a large container and keep watch that any above ground vines do not take root.

The Morning Glory Family of Convolvulaceae contains 55 different genera and thousands of different species and despite the common MYTH that all MG's are invasive (due to the 'automatic' association with the species which are invasive), there are if fact a large number of species which are not invasive,particularly in less than fully tropical climates.

Please consider looking into the many different genera and species which would not be invasive in your area.

I have included inks with partial listings of MG species which will not successfully self resow in cooler climates
    http://cubits.org/Suigetsu/thread/view/25457/

Hope that helps...

regards,

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glories which will successfully resow in colder zones

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

P.S. - typo correction - the link should have contained the word not - Morning Glories which will *not* successfully resow in colder zones

• beansnospam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ron

Thanks for answering so quickly!

The hederacea and the pubescens look so like each other that I can't imagine what the difference would be. Anyway, thank you for the advice, I'm going to take it.

I've tried to sow the pretty blue morning glories I grew up with in southern California, and they simply won't last the winter here. But bindweed, which is sort of a dull version of morning glories, would probably make it through Armageddon, and they are totally invasive here. So I'll just keep a close eye on this till I know which category it falls into. It's not on your list of non-self-seeders in cold climates.

Thanks and all the best
    Beans

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

Hi Beans - The fully double Calystegia never produces seeds , so you wouldn't have to be concerned about any seed production just the potential spreading of the rhizomes.

The Calystegia pubescens does not appear on my listing of non self-sowers since it is a perennial that spreads by underground rhizomes (not seeds) although this is mostly problematic in the type of soft earth as found in gardens and tilled fields (as populated with relatively non-competitive plants) and these conditions are not something usually encountered in nature,...that is why despite being considered invasive , rhizomatous Calystegia has not taken over the world.

There are some species of Calystegia that are native to California which do not spread by underground rhizomes e.g., Calystegia macrostegia.

The Calystegia hederacea and Calystegia pubescens might look to be very similar to the casual observer , but aside from some differences in the leaf shapes and sepal measurements the Calystegia pubescens may produce some hairs on the plant at some point which should not occur on Calystegia hederacea.

Hope you enjoy your gardening...

regards,

Ron

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Ron - I just wanted to say how informative your posts are. It's nice to have a real expert joining in. The bane of my life is Calystegia sepium but I have to admit it is a beautiful nuisance. I once tried growing it in a pot. Of course it died.

I am sure you know the song in the link. (Ignore the visuals, concentrate on the words)

Here is a link that might be useful: Misalliance

• beansnospam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Ron. I'm definitely keeping it sequestered in a big pot till I see what happens. I don't trust it one little bit.

All the best

Beans

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

flora_uk - I'm glad you find something of value in some of what I share although I always disclaim to being an expert (it's safer that way) and will only admit to be a constantly 'aspiring aficionado'...

The counterclockwise twisting of the climbers in the MG Family have never been fully explained and are not related to the Coriolis effect but speculated to assist the plant in climbing relative to the structure of other plants...

The rhizomatous Calystegia tend to like a large root run in conjunction with a large above ground vegetative mass and may not thrive if deprived of either...

I did listen to the song and enjoyed it...

TTY,...

Ron

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Ron - I thought of you when I saw this question on the Name that Plant Forum here on Garden Web. Do you have an opinion on the id?

Here is a link that might be useful: MG/Convolvulus question

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

flora_uk - opinion shared...

Thanks