Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Year Growing Purple Bell Vine

Posted by sprouts_honor N. Ohio, zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 8:58

Hello. I paid an outrageous amount for less than a dozen purple bell vine seeds and only ONE survived. Id like to show it off at my familys shared vegetable plot by planting near the tomatoes. I have two 5 X 10 pipe trellis supports, side by side that arch with netting stretched over them. At the base of each, Ive created about a 2 tall raised bed from cinder blocks. Theres about a foot gap between the two raised beds. Was thinking I could plant the vine there, in the ground (not the raised bed) but eventually train it up to the trellis. The tomatoes already have a head start and are planted higher up. Im thinking by the time the vine begins to flourish, it will be time to prune the tomato leaves. However, Im a bit worried that this vine will be too aggressive (like Morning Glory) and may get out of hand quickly. Ive always grown flowers in the vegetable garden because they attract pollinators and are attractive, but I dont want to jeopardize tomato production. What yall think? And thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Still a "youngin" compared to the tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Year Growing Purple Bell Vine

Grew this vine one year from seed - direct seeding in late April. The first blooms arrived in late September, 2 weeks before the frost. Based on my wretched experience, "taking over" is the last thing you have to worry about. Purple Bell vine and Chilean Glory Vine (Eccremocarpus scaber) may make an appearance in my garden again, but only if I start with plants. And keep them in pots so they can winter over.

o
RE: First Year Growing Purple Bell Vine

Thanks for letting me know. Probably going to keep it potted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here