Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprouts_honor

First Year Growing Purple Bell Vine

sprouts_honor
15 years ago

Hello. I paid an outrageous amount for less than a dozen purple bell vine seeds and only ONE survived. IÂd like to show it off at my familyÂs shared vegetable plot by planting near the tomatoes. I have two 5 X 10 pipe trellis supports, side by side that arch with netting stretched over them. At the base of each, IÂve created about a 2Â tall raised bed from cinder blocks. ThereÂs about a foot gap between the two raised beds. Was thinking I could plant the vine there, in the ground (not the raised bed) but eventually train it up to the trellis. The tomatoes already have a head start and are planted higher up. IÂm thinking by the time the vine begins to flourish, it will be time to prune the tomato leaves. However, IÂm a bit worried that this vine will be too aggressive (like Morning Glory) and may get out of hand quickly. IÂve always grown flowers in the vegetable garden because they attract pollinators and are attractive, but I donÂt want to jeopardize tomato production. What yÂall think? And thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Still a "youngin" compared to the tomatoes.

Comments (2)