Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I get the right wisteria????

Posted by both z5IL (aboth@sbcglobal.net) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 9:24

I got a wisteria to replace a silver lace vine that never got big enough with winter dieback. The type of wisteria I purchased at the nursery is called Texas Purple it is a Floribunda type. Anyway my kentucky wisteria just bloomed for the first time and I started to think I want to make sure the blooms on this new wisteria are a lot darker. Does anyone have any pics of Texas Purple? I think the pics on the internet are doctored because my Kentucky Wisteria blooms do not look that dark!!! Any info or advice would be great. I do not want to have regrets in a couple years. I would like to get it right the first time!!! Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I get the right wisteria????

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 16:09

"According to the Monrovia Nursery Company of California this cultivar has replaced W. floribunda 'Royal Purple' in their propagation schedule because of its ability to flower at a very young age in containers. It originally came from the Verhalen Nursery in Texas.

Although 'Texas Purple' is described as a cultivar of W. floribunda, in the photograph provided the flowers appear similar to those of W. sinensis. Because of this and its precocious blooming it has been included in this chapter [Hybrids and Cultivars of Unknown Provenance]. When careful comparisons can be carried out it may be possible to assign it to a species with certainty"

--Wisterias, A Comprehensive Guide, Peter Valder, Timber Press

Here is a link that might be useful: Monrovia.com : Learn : Plant Catalog : Plant Detail : TEXAS PURPLE JAPANESE WISTERIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here