Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shpnquen

Morning Glory seeds won't germinate

shpnquen
14 years ago

I was given some light blue morning glory seeds last fall from a lady & try as I might, I couldn't get them to germinate. Her blooms were really big & so pretty & I was really looking forward to them in my garden. I tried soaking them, scraping them & just straight sowing, but nothing. The seeds looked OK, I got nothing, but disappointment. Is there something else I can do next year, as it's obviously too late for this year? I've never had any problems in the past getting MG to sprout before.

Comments (5)

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

It sounds like the seeds you where given where not "ripe, viable seeds".
    If that is the case then there is nothing you can do to get them to germinate.

Since you tried every method to germinate them and they wouldn't germinate, there is nothing you can with these seeds for this year.

What you can do is make sure that the seeds are collected correctly this year.

The seed pods need to be brown, very dry and when touched pod will crumble and the seeds will fall out.

If the seeds where collected before the pods where paper thin and crumble to the touch, the seeds may very well look ripe, but they aren't.

One idea for this year is to see if this lady had any seeds that self sowed where they fell from last years plants.
    If she has quite a few of them, you might be able to dig up a few and transplant them to your gardens.

Fran

• shpnquen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I was wondering, but all she gave me were the actual seeds, which were black in color & looked large enough, but I guess you're taking your chances & they were free, so I'm not out anything.

I doubt I'll be seeing the lady again since she's 4 hours away. I still have some seeds left, so maybe next year, I'll just dump all them in the ground & see what happens from there! LOL!!

• nodak_btinet_net
    13 years ago

I don't know about all this nicking the seeds, soaking in hydrogen peroxide solution or whatever. I have had complete success by doing a very simple procedure. Take a paper towel and cut in quarters. Fold one of the quarters in half and places the seeds on one half of the paper (just try a half dozen at first). Fold over and place the paper towel in a sandwich bag or other plastic ziploc type bag. I slowly pour in enough warm water to thoroughly soak the paper towel, close it up, and set it on a warm place like on top of the refrigerator or if you have grow lights, set it on top of the light fixture where it's warm. I just did this with my seeds yesterday and today they are already beginning to sprout, and they're now in potting soil pots.

I've used this procedure with all larger seeds that I start ahead of time, mostly to find out if they're viable, but it's just an easy way to get seeds started so you know which are going to go and which are duds. I almost always have great success this way. Just a thought you might want to try.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

I'd like to share that seeds are living things and they sprout when they are ready and not always on cue when you may want them to...

I've grown different species of Morning Glories for most of 5 decades and I've learned that there is no set formula that always works...and if the seeds don't sprout it does not automatically mean that the seeds are dead because although Morning Glory seeds of the common species usually sprout easily , they don't always jump right up when you want them to and it is important not to jump to conclusions regarding ultimate viability...

There are many,many factors that can influence germination and what worked wonderful for you last year or even last month may not work on viable seeds this week...

We can explore the many different factors that can influence seed germination but consider some of the very real aspects and factors mentioned on the seed germination reference page by JLHudson as it contains references to just some of the many factors involved in various types of dormancy...

regards,

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: JLHudson's seed germination reference page

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

I TOTALLY agree with Ron.

Emma

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction