Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wasted_wages

Mandevilla Vine - is it too late to save it?

wasted_wages
13 years ago

I am so bummed out! My boyfriend bought me a Mandevilla vine because he knew I really loved the flowers. He is quite in-experienced and unfortunately brought home a vine that was absoloutly infested with spider mites :(.

It had two blooms and lots of new buds on it, as well as three tendrills growing out from it. I tried for two days doing a dish-soap, rubbing alcohol and water mixture but it still seemed to be absoloutly crawling in them so I resorted to a chemical pesticide. I read the label and asked the sales person who said it would be alright to use it on a Mandevilla vine, but after spraying it within 12 hours a bunch of the leaves had shrivelled and turned dark brown/black. I am pretty sure the pesticide burnt them as they were green before I sprayed them and I don't think the mites would turn them that dark that quickly. They really looked burnt.

So as soon as I noticed the burnt on hem I rinsed the whole plant off with just water and cut the really burnt leaves off. Since then I have continued with the soap, alcohol and water mixture 2-3 times and picked off the last remaining mites. The mites have now seemed to be gone for the last couple days. But I think between the mites and burnin it with the pesticide the damage has been done. The leaves have continued to turn black and crispy and now there isn't a single leaf left that isn't going to turn black :(

that was long winded to get to my question, which is... If I now cut my whole vine back to jus above the main stem coming out of the ground, is there a small chance that it may grow back? Or has it been done in.

I hope you guys can give me some advice on how to keep it alive :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH