Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gw

Morning Glories

I have tried morning glories the last two years and all I get is a very healthy vine but no flowers.
Any help would be appreciated

Comments (7)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

Morning Glories generally like sun, the more the better and preferably morning sun...the plants may sometimes be located in enough shade where they will synthesize food and produce leaves but produce no flowers.

How much (direct and strong indirect) total sunlight are the plants getting and are they planted in the ground or in containers (?)

Do you know what species you are trying to grow (?)...seed companies are terribly unreliable when it comes to indicating the correct botanical name in catalogs and / or on the actual MG seed packets...

Ipomoea nil may be the most reluctant to flower before it gets too cold , Ipomoea tricolor would be easier and Ipomoea purpurea is the most reliable.

Can you post a closeup photo of the leaves as I can usually ID the species by the leaves , although unless you have mucho experience ID'ing via the leaves , I don't recommend it to other as there are too many similarities and fine points to take into consideration that evade the casual grower and even most 'botanists'...

The more you information you can provide , the more we can help you...

regards,

Ron

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Don't give up, we can help.

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought three of them that were potted and a few inches high.
    Have had problems starting from seed myself, even though I nick them.
    These are probably too young to flower this year, about 15-20 inches high, but I was just asking about what to use to get them to flower.
    They get 12-15 hours of sun.

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought three of them that were potted and a few inches high.
    Have had problems starting from seed myself, even though I nick them.
    These are probably too young to flower this year, about 15-20 inches high, but I was just asking about what to use to get them to flower.
    They get 12-15 hours of sun.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Have you repotted them into a larger container? What ID is on the tag(s)?

It's not too late to plant, I have my last one germinating this weekend and will go out next week some time. It is Ipomoea nil. If you have something like Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) it may be too late to see flowers, but they always seem to make flowers for me late in the summer, so it may still be worthwhile to see what the plants do at your location.

Do you have a digital camera and if so can you upload some photos of the leaves and overall view of them?

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

There are different species of Morning glories and each can respond differently to your local environment and *that* is why I inquired about photos of the plants to help us to ascertain the species....and it seems that photos aren't something that you are able to provide , which means we have to guess and / or generalize about what species we are addressing...because a photo is worth a thousand words...

The reality is that there are often no 'magic' answers , in fact quick cures may often be detrimental in the long run.

A phosphorus based bloom booster may help but your situation proves the point that Morning Glories do NOT always bloom like 'weeds'...and often require attention to some details.

You mentioned the plants getting 12 to 15 hours of sunlight a day and if that is accurate , then I would try to shorten the hours to about 8 hours a day as the Ipomoea are generally short day plants , which means they flower in response to the shorter days which naturally occur the closer the geographic location you are in approaches Autumn when the days are shorter...

I've provided what helpful hints I can relative to what info was supplied...

best wishes,

Ron

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

dmoore66, what I like to do is to grow a whole bunch of them in different places, and you are bound to have some of them flower, and of course full sun. :) Arum