Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing morning glories in shade of lattice?

Posted by adopduction NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 11:38

I am extremely new to gardening and just bought my first house three weeks ago. The back deck has absolutely no privacy on the one side so I had an idea to construct a lattice screen and grow morning glories up it. I have started the morning glories and they are sprouting, but have not gotten the supplies for the screen yet. The pots of morning glories are sitting in full afternoon sun currently (deck is on north side of house), and it just occurred to me that when I put the lattice screen up it'll be between the pot and the afternoon sun. Does enough sun come through lattice that I don't need to worry about this, or is this a concern? We were originally going to get high privacy lattice with very small holes, but can get the "regular" lattice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing morning glories in shade of lattice?

Morning Glories are very vigorous and will do just fine on the lattice.
Peter

o
RE: Growing morning glories in shade of lattice?

adopduction - It seems your question relates to whether whatever species you have started will do well on a lattice and more importantly on the North side of the house...

What (of the several thousand different) species do you have (?) because although commonly lumped under the generalized term of Morning Glory...each different species can behave differently depending on climate and the sum total of all environmental factors.

Can you post any photos of the cotyledons and the true leaves of your young plant (?)...if so, I could likely IDentify the species that you have...

Depending on the exact species and the amount of available light on the North side of your house will determine how well the species of MG that you have will fare...

Trial and error is going to yield the answers better than any generalized 'guesswork'...

o
RE: Morning Glorires prefer morning sun and lot's of it...

P.S.- Most MG's do better in morning sun rather than afternoon sun...but generally the more sun the better since most MG's are sunloving plants...

Just some things to consider...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here