Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellis for Cup and Saucer Vine

Posted by prairiegirlz5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 12:16

Will cup and saucer vine grow up a fence on a trellis on its own or does it need something like wire mesh to cling to? And if does need wire mesh, how small should the wire be and how far apart can the spacing of the grid be?

I painted a wooden fan-shaped trellis and screwed it to our privacy fence. It appears as though the cup and saucer vine will twine up the support stakes but I want to be sure.

Also, I planted it from a little 4 inch square pot at the base of the trellis. It seems as though the vine stopped growing since I planted it in the ground. It is an annual here, so any help getting this thing growing will be appreciated! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellis for Cup and Saucer Vine

The vine sends out tendrils with sucker-like feet that will attach to most anything. Sometimes I help the tendrils reach supports by carefully placing them against them until they take hold. No need for wire mesh.

Not sure where you live, but here in Ohio I plant it in the Spring as early as I can because Cup and Saucer blooms very late in the season, like September usually. When first planted, it will sit quietly awhile then once it starts to grow, it will take off! No need for fertilizer, only water it regularly when first planted. Mine gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon; but I don't know if that makes any difference because I have only planted it the same spot every time.

I have it on my back porch, growing up temp made from scratch trellis. Eventually it will reach the posts and spread out horizontally and grow right along the railing. Most people don't plant it because it is a late bloomer as I already mentioned, but i love the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here