Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine ID please

Posted by tanyaviola 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:27

We recently bought our first house and I'm still trying to figure out what all the plants are!

This particular vine seems to be creeping up out of many of the bushes....does anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine ID please...seriously invasive

I don't recall the botanical name offhand (although it is in Solanaceae and maybe in Cestrum ) but I can tell you that it is VERY invasive and I have been pulling it out for over 15 years but the birds (who eat the seeds) bring it back...

This vine will climb over everything and up into shrubs and trees...

I am NOT an 'exotic invasive' person but I am making an exception for this vine in this case...

Pull it out by the roots , now (!)

o
RE: Vine ID please

Thanks....just pulled a bunch out today. It's not easy. I have some growing out of a huge row of bushes along the driveway too. I guess somehow I've got to get under those and try to find the roots...?? Ick.

o

Celastrus orbiculatus. The kudzu of the north.

o

Dzitmoidonc - Thanks for the ID update...

I was thinking Solanaceae because of the common name of "Oriental Bittersweet" and that the genus starts with a "C" , but the main aspects transmitted are that it really is terribly invasive and it needs to be removed ASAP...

I usually stick to my 'niche' i.e., Morning Glories but sometimes venture a bit outside of my forte of Convolvulaceae...

Thanks again (!)

regards,

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here