Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

Silver Lace vine...3gal pot $60 fair price?

cadillactaste
9 years ago

I had asked a local nursery if they could get me some Silver Lace...they mentioned it was invasive and hard to get. Now I have admired a pergola covered in it...in the nearest town from me.

Just returned from another nursery further away with a tree and a shrub. To a message that the other nursery had found this vine.

24" trellis it's trained on...3 gal. pot. Is that a good price...and...if so trying to figure out how many needed to purchased for this area?

I have one other section...of trellis on the gazebo opposite the sidewalk... Plant an entire vine for it...or...propagate the vine to that section at a later date?

Comments (6)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It's outrageous. If we're talking about Fallopia baldschuanica (various synonyms - I don't know which is the latest) it is very easy to propagate. It's 10.95 sterling( $18.65) for a 3 ft tall plant in a 2.5 litre pot here. And that's pretty expensive in my book. One of its common names is Mile-a-minute plant. You only ever need 1.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...there was a very small plant at the other nursery...assumed one wouldn't be enough. So I passed it up...it was I think it was around $15. But...$60 I thought was high. So one...planted to go up the middle one...and stretching around the sides.

Thanks...yes, I wondered about propagating of them...if it was a difficult process.

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:35

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

ANY price is too expensive for this pest. Not only is it extremely aggressive, it is also considered invasive across much of the US. Just not a good choice for a flowering vine.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What would you suggest for zone 5 to fill this in that would work in a semi shade area?

I just happen to admire a pergola covered in the closest town near us. But...want something to fill these trellises in. That is somewhat a fast grower. That can handle some shade...I want to not have to cut it down each season.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kicking toe into the dirt...I may kick myself later...floral_uk but...I called all around and the one I seen for that lower price was gone. More dead than anything the lady said. So...calling around to all nurseries, from up to 1 1/2 hours one way...no one had them. I bit the bullet and ordered the crazy $60 3 gal.

That said...with the Fourth Of July celebration/holiday in the states...It put the order in hold until they could ship. It arrived...and it's a good healthy start to the ivy. I appreciate your advice of only needing one. I didn't feel quite so bad paying that price knowing I only needed one verses three.

Gardengal...I may live to regret my choice. But, I have always admired the pergola in town when it's in bloom. I had nothing growing in that area other than a Rose Of Sharon seedlings I am growing out and braiding as it grows. So not much to get tangled into the vine.

I have honeysuckle on my pergola out back...and it's slow to grow...it won't cover near as nicely as what I had visioned here. If it blooms as the one in town...I think it might be worth dealing with the headache...time will tell.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well...I got it planted and off the trellis it came on. Though...the husband felt we paid to much for the vine. (And hearing ones can get it far cheaper...I know everyone is correct) but...I am actually at least happy with the size of plant we purchased. Had we went with that small plant that the main vines themselves seemed thin and frail. (Must have been a new starting?) This 3 gal. pot had some thick main vines from the soil. Were easy to work with and filled much more area on the trellis than the small pot would have covered. So in that aspect...I feel happy about it. I realize it grows fast...but seeing the vines reach around to the out trellises. (Just barely) Made me feel I accomplished something. Having honeysuckle on our back pergola and it taking off slow. In the back of my mind I think that with this one...but, I know I am so afraid off with that thinking process.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio