Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild honeysuckle...or something else?

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:46

We have a raised gazebo...I would like to do trellis work to hide the long poles. This being said I am not sure what to grow. We've grown Honeysuckle-Pink Tatarian on the back pergola and trellis. I'm just not happy with how long it has taken to establish...we've wild honeysuckle all over our hill side. I am curious since it grows well here...if I would have more success planting that on our gazebo trellis...or something else.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild honeysuckle...or something else?

At least that is what I think we're growing in the backyard. It resembled the photo I seen online... and the color of ours.

o

Trying to learn how to grow a starting off what we have on the hill. (Taking over a cherry tree and everything else in its wake) I read that it is not something one wants to grow in a garden. Someone had tried 7 years to get rid of what she planted originally!

So does anyone know of a fragrant vine? That is fast growing...should I start another post topic for that?

o

cadillactaste - Tartarian Honeysuckle is a shrub not a vine which might explain why it is not climbing as you wish. How about one of the Lonicera sempervirens cultivars or hybrids? They are N American natives and not invasive like Japanese Honeysuckle. However, not all are fragrant so you need to check. The 'wild honeysuckle' you have all over your hillside may well be the invasive alien species, Lonicera japonica.

o

Posted by flora_uk SW UK 8/9 (My Page) on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:45
cadillactaste - Tartarian Honeysuckle is a shrub not a vine which might explain why it is not climbing as you wish. How about one of the Lonicera sempervirens cultivars or hybrids? They are N American natives and not invasive like Japanese Honeysuckle. However, not all are fragrant so you need to check. The 'wild honeysuckle' you have all over your hillside may well be the invasive alien species, Lonicera japonica.

Well I was only looking at the color of bloom...my bad. Ours is a vine. I should post a photo of it maybe...just taking forever to become established.
I'll look into the ones you mentioned...thanks.

o

Goldflame might work, it is scented and non-invasive. It tends to get powdery mildew though, or so I've read. I only got mine this year, so not a lot of experiance with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here