Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Vine that wont damage brick house

Posted by melissa402 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 14:14

Help!!!! I've heard that ivy will damage the mortar on a brick house. I'm looking for an evergreen/semi-evergreen vine that will climb the brick on the front of my house without damaging it. Putting up some sort of wire for it to cling to is not out of the question but I really would rather not. The area I am trying to fill-in is very high so it would be difficult for me to prune on a regular basis. I live in zone 6. I'm not concerned whether the vine flowers or not. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Vine that wont damage brick house

IF YOUR MORTAR IS IN GOOD SHAPE, most self clinging vines will not damage the brick. Choose a well behaved vine suitable for the location (you didn't give us info on sun/shade/moist/dry, etc.). Keep it trimmed away from window frames and the roof eaves. The bricks will be unsightly if the vine is removed and you will need to use a wire brush or a small sander to clean the surface. Or, you will need to build a trellis or use mortar nails to install a twining vine as these are not self supporting. I would not let English ivy climb my house. In your zone, you will need to compromise on the evergreen criterion. You actually don't want wet areas against the house when it freezes - that will wreck the brick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here