Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
entnous53

Good vine to arch over garage doors? Pls. help!

Linda Peterson
10 years ago

I have seen lovely evergreen vines that are trained to delicately arch over a garage door to soften the boring expanse of the doors. Can someone suggest a vine that wouldn't take years and years to grow, look deep green and not be too woody and high maintenance. I am in Houston, the doors face Northwest and the vine would have to be in pots, because there is just concrete there. I have shown a nice picture of some kind of vine? that I like, and the way I want our garage to look. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (5)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Deleted due to double post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines over garage door

This post was edited by kayjones on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:43

• kayjones
    10 years ago

A Clematis in a pot on each side of the door would be lovely. Just keep the roots shaded with mulch. You might choose two red ones, a white one and a blue one.

A climbing rose would look lovely as well.

Here's a google.com search for inspiration:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vines+to+grow+over+a+garage+door&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6YbMUYVgkoz0BI2ZgKgL&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1015&bih=639

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines over garage door

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I was thinking climbing roses too. I LOVE that look-of course they wouldn't be evergreen. But they also wouldn't be trying to get under siding like some vines...

• Linda Peterson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for these suggestions, I will take this list to the nursery. I will post pictures, too, in a few months.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Whatever you choose, you will need to be prepared for quite a bit of maintenance to keep it in the shape you want it. Climbing roses, especially, would be a nuisance if allowed to trail down. Scratched faces for anyone opening the doors. So they would need constant and hard pruning. The vine in your picture probably has had a lot of pruning and training. You would also need to provide support for any non self clinging vines such as clematis and roses. You say there is concrete, rather than siding there, so a self clinging vine would be OK. Are you set on flowers or would greenery alone do the job?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH