Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good vine to arch over garage doors? Pls. help!

Posted by entrenous Zone 9 Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:06

I have seen lovely evergreen vines that are trained to delicately arch over a garage door to soften the boring expanse of the doors. Can someone suggest a vine that wouldn't take years and years to grow, look deep green and not be too woody and high maintenance. I am in Houston, the doors face Northwest and the vine would have to be in pots, because there is just concrete there. I have shown a nice picture of some kind of vine? that I like, and the way I want our garage to look. Thanks for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good vine to arch over garage doors? Pls. help!

Deleted due to double post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines over garage door

This post was edited by kayjones on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:43

o

A Clematis in a pot on each side of the door would be lovely. Just keep the roots shaded with mulch. You might choose two red ones, a white one and a blue one.

A climbing rose would look lovely as well.

Here's a google.com search for inspiration:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vines+to+grow+over+a+garage+door&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6YbMUYVgkoz0BI2ZgKgL&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1015&bih=639

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines over garage door

o

I was thinking climbing roses too. I LOVE that look-of course they wouldn't be evergreen. But they also wouldn't be trying to get under siding like some vines...

o

Thanks for these suggestions, I will take this list to the nursery. I will post pictures, too, in a few months.

o

Whatever you choose, you will need to be prepared for quite a bit of maintenance to keep it in the shape you want it. Climbing roses, especially, would be a nuisance if allowed to trail down. Scratched faces for anyone opening the doors. So they would need constant and hard pruning. The vine in your picture probably has had a lot of pruning and training. You would also need to provide support for any non self clinging vines such as clematis and roses. You say there is concrete, rather than siding there, so a self clinging vine would be OK. Are you set on flowers or would greenery alone do the job?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here