Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Tell me about these vines

kimcoco
15 years ago

Twiners, climbers, self-clinging, etc. I'm assuming a clematis and a grapevine is considered a "twiner"???? Just trying to get the categories straight.

Basically, I'm looking for a vine to trellis in a narrow space - nothing that will protrude very far (a small planting area between house and narrow driveway, so nothing that becomes "bushy" with age), and I'm really not looking for something to climb my house UNLESS it is a vine that will NOT damage my mortar, unlike the Boston Ivy vine.

These are the vines I'm considering, though I don't really know much about them and I'm looking to this forum to educate me. I have done some research, but there's sooooo much information on the web it's overwhelming.

Aristolochia macrophylla (Dutchman's Pipe Vine) - this is a climber. Climb a trellis, house, both, etc.?

Apios americana (Ground Nut) vine - this is a "twiner", what exactly does that mean? This is a native U.S. vine, not to be confused with the Ground Nut plant of the same name in other parts of the world.

Akebia trifoliata Compacta - aka threeleaf or threefinger akebia - also a climbing vine - not to be confused with the invasive Akebia Quinata - five leaf akebia.

Dioscorea villosa - Wild Yam - U.S. Native "climber"

Feedback is appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County