Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wispfox

What is this vine?

wispfox
12 years ago

It's been suggested that it's a kind of morning glory, but it appears to be perennial, and the roots smell sweet when I pull them up.

{{gwi:259664}}

{{gwi:259665}}

{{gwi:259666}}

Mostly, I'm trying to decide how hard I should be trying to eradicate it, or if it's worth keeping.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

It looks like some type of bindweed (Calystegia sepium?). Does it have a white flower and are there rhizomes underground? If so GET RID OF IT!!!!!! I have some that came up in an azalea hedge several years ago and I'm still trying to get rid of them.

Hopefully Ron will see this and give you a definitive answer.

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not yet seen any flower from this plant.

I'm unclear on how I would know if the underground root is a root or a rhizome?

• Slaab
    12 years ago

Hi - I thought you had snuck this picture from MY yard. I've got the same thing growing on my hydrangeas... and starting to sneak through much of my yard. I just bought a house that has sat empty for a year and I think that this vine took hold while it was empty. I'm not sure what it is either but it seems to have traveleed across the ground in long tendrils/roots. I keep pulling it out, it keeps growing back. Anyone with info on exactly what this is would be greatly appreciated. I"m in Nashville TN.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

It's not Calystegia sepium - that's a plant I have fought for decades. The shape, colour and texture of the leaves are all wrong. But I'm afraid I don't know what it is.

You could try the Name That Plant Forum.

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flora_uk: ok, making a post in Name That Plant. :)

Thanks!

• ron_convolvulaceae
    12 years ago

I agree that it is not Calystegia sepium.

The leaves do look like Ipomoea purpurea but something about the plant tells me that it is not I.purpurea.

Closeup views of the petiole stem junction area and the tip of the vine may help to shed some light on the ID...maybe a type of vining milkweed or a yam of some type...

I'd be interested in the plant if you choose to remove it...place roots in damp papertowel , then place in large ziplock bagge along with upper plant parts...send to me and I'll cover mailing and give you some MG seeds...

TTY,...

Ron

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ron: Sending email. :)

Suzanne

• ron_convolvulaceae
    12 years ago

Hi Suzanne,

I think I found out what you have going on there and it is something in the Family Aristolochiaceae , most likely
    Aristolochia californica commonly known as California Pipevine...this FAmily of plants also contains fragrant roots in the Asarum genus commonly known as gingers...

copy links and paste into browser
    http://www.swsbm.com/Images/A/Aristolochia_californica.jpg
    http://www.swsbm.com/Images/A/Aristolochia_californica-2.jpg
    http://www.swsbm.com/MKImages/Aristolochia_californica.gif
    http://www.swsbm.com/MKImages/Aristolochia_californica.jpg

regards,

Ron

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

Ron, is it possible that this vine could grow in MA and come back every year?

Suzanne lives in MA, so am wondering if this is growing in her yard as a perennial or is reseeding itself every year.

Fran

• ron_convolvulaceae
    12 years ago

Hi Fran,

I did my best to identify the plant in the photos that seemed to be ( by the look of the leaves) a Morning Glory look-a-like...

I am aware that Aristolochia californica is listed in some databases as being hardy to zone 8a , although in some instances a more hardy strain could withstand a colder zone as a perennial or could be self-reseeding as an annual...

Should Suzanne decide to allow some of the plants to develop further and produce some flower buds , we could see for certain what the plant in question is...(!)

Perhaps those with more experience and knowledge of Aristolochia species would be in a better position to provide additional relevant details...

TTY,...

Ron

• legumefinder
    12 years ago

I think it looks like aristolochia tomentosa. The stem and young leaves look wooly. I was thinking a. macrophylla also, but it's stems are smoother and that one has very large leaves. Hope this was helpful,

Dave.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

There are several plants called bindweed. Some make morning glory-type flowers, and some make barely noticeable clusters of tiny flowers that are white or the same color as the leaves. I think it's the 2nd type, possibly Polygonum convolvulus. I've battled it in OH, extremely hard to get rid of. Almost all of these weedy vines have leaves that morph their shape as the vine matures, making ID's tricky. Whatever it is, you don't want it growing in your Hydrangea.

• wispfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

purpleinopp: it's not the one you listed, as I think it would have flowered by now. However, yes, I've been removing it from everything it tries to climb. I have yet to see it flower, which makes it difficult to ID!

legumefinder: Visually very possible! It has never flowered, though. I did try to let it, and it just tried to take over the world instead.

Frustrating thing! I want to ID it! :)

Thanks,

Suzanne

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If your goal is to get rid of it, knowing what it is will satisfy curiosity, but not necessary for decimation.

The instructions from Bry84, the 4th entry in this discussion can be used on any "bad boy" vine.

• legumefinder
    12 years ago

Hi Suzanne,

The native aristolochia vines are different than the tropical species like a. elegans and a. ringens which produce flowers as the vines grow. The a. tomentosa flowers from the lower leaf axils on vines from previous years growth, mainly in late spring and early summer.

It can take over very easily, I've seen it growing very high up into trees right there with kudzu.

Dave

• siam_cannas
    12 years ago

Looks interesting... i like it!