Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivy

Posted by Renkosiewicz 60185 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 15:51

Is there a way to tell if ivy is an annual or a perennial?

Thanks, Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivy

Unless you know what the name of the vine is, you need to observe it's growing cycle. If it grows year-round or if it dies to the ground in winter and regrows from the same rootstock in the spring, it is a perennial. If it dies to the ground in winter and doesn't regrow, or just seedlings sprout up near where the original plant was then it is probably an annual. That's my non-professional explanation and I'm sticking to it, LOL.
Are you trying to find a particular vine or trying to ID one that you already have?

o

Are you asking about english ivy? The formal name for that is hedera helix. It is perennial in zone 5. The leaves are usually killed in the winter and new ones grow the next spring.

BTW, if 60185 is your ZIP code, you are in zone 5.

o

A friend gave me the ivy so I do not know what type it is. I was hoping it was the perennial type. Do you know of anyway to identify it just from the leaves?
Barb

o

Yes - you can identify it from the leaves. If you post a photo on the Name that Plant forum they will tell you what you have. So many plants are called (incorrectly) 'ivy' that it's impossibele to answer your question until we know what you have. You could try googling English ivy, Swedish ivy, Grape Ivy, Boston ivy just for starters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here