Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine for Ugly Wall

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 17:24

We're trying to find vines to hide these ugly cement walls. We're in Zone 6 but I usually plant for Zone 5. The wall is facing west and doesn't get a lot of sun.

The brick things are actually planters that we put over our steps, so we could plant things that would grow down. Don't know if vines would ever do that, or if anyone has any other ideas.

I'd like things that are pretty low maintenance that won't destroy the retaining wall. Evergreen is preferable. I don't know a lot about vines, and, for instance, don't know if something "twinning" would be able to stick to the wall.

Step Boxes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine for Ugly Wall

I adore the vine Mina lobata, also known as exotic love or spanish flags- i think they would add lovely color. also maybe some ivy would go well if you like the all green look.

-arielle

o
RE: Vine for Ugly Wall

Thanks arielletea -

I looked that up and it looks beautiful, though it's an annual vine. I'm not very good with annuals - spring is my busy season at work so the time for planting seems to pass me by.

I was thinking of something perennial and evergreen if possible. Looks like we may have to go with Boston Ivy unless we can come up with a better idea. I've been warned against Virginia Creeper and Sweet Autumn Clematis -I guess they get out of control. It seems like Boston Ivy might also. Does anyone have any other ideas?

o
Wine not moss instead of vine

Hi,
I know you're looking for a vine but have considered growing moss on
your walls. From what I got your walls don't get much sunshine, if that's the case
Why not give it a try.
If the idea is too novel , why not plant trailing/ rambling plants. Like hardy geraniums?

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss Walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here