Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

best site for honeysuckle?

Hi,

I am confused for some reason about what honeysuckles like--full sun, part shade, or either? I see it so often on the edge of woods (although that is likely the non-native vine, with cream flowers and strong scent) but have seen another doing well in full sun. My mandarin orange is in full sun and fine except for something that distorts the 2nd flush of blossoms each year. My "pink lemonade" is in a partly sunny spot (4-5 hours at most) with the trellis on the western lot line--and seems to seek the shade of the cherry tree next to it rather than growing toward the less-shaded spots on the trellis.

I have two new plants that I need to decide where to place.

I have one labeled lonicera magnifica which I held over in my mulch pile --getting full sun for about 6 hours right now and seems happy enough; it is growing.

Another is an unknown that I rooted from a cutting taken last year-- had large red/white blooms as I recall (might that be Serotina Florida?) and was located in a pretty sunny spot too I think--just now starting to put on new growth, I have been nurturing it in a fairly shady spot.

I have 4 choices of where I can put these, but really want them to do well. I don't have all day sun anywhere except where the mandarin orange already is, but I can go from lots of sun on a chain link fence, to direct sun in late day only (under a large tree, so dry also), to mostly shade, to part/dappled shade but with enough sun to keep a rose happy!

What do you recommend?

Thanks, Raee

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County