Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Vines for Pergola

Posted by chitowngc Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 18:45

I'm new to plants. We have a pretty big deck that was in need of repair. In the process, we decided to add a pergola. We love it and hope it last for a few years while we save money for an addition and new deck. We have a small pergola next to the deck.. pics below. We love the vines growing on them. They are some sort of grape. However, the asian beetles love them too!! :(

On our new pergola, we would love to have it covered in vines. What is the best cover for this(we live in NE IL) and what would grow/cover the fastest? Someone said train the existing to go over to the deck? Not sure I like that.

The pergola is apx 14' from the ground. It's got a long way to go. I would rather not wait 4/5 years for full cover.

Any help and suggestion will be appreciated!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Vines for Pergola

I know the feeling of trying to decide on a vine. I started a pergola, but with all the decisions involved, I lost interest in it. I thought I wanted Wisteria, but it takes over too much and also did not want to deal with the bees. I also have lateral lines to deal with since I am in the country. I will watch this post to see what suggestions you get.

The pergola is great. Lots of detail cutting done with regard to design and the support posts. I like things different. If you decide to continue the pergola to the house, I would think about running the upper boards (joists on a pergola?) north and south so to take advantage of shading from the late afternoon and evening sun, until your vines take over. I like your place.

o

The only fast growing vines I know of are the annuals. Morning glories, moonflower vine, nasturtiums, black eyed susan vine, etc..

For perennial vines, honeysuckle might be a good bet. There are lots of non-invasive varieties of honeysuckle and they bloom from late spring to frost. Trumpet honeysuckles (Lonicera sempervirens) have scentless flowers but they do draw the hummingbirds (from what I read)!

Good luck in your search for a vine!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 18:36

Clematis Montana, Silver Lace Vine and Akebia quinata are all vigorous growers and perennial.

o

Thank you all for the information. I will research few of the suggestions and go from there. We had to take a break from finishing the pergola due to weather and work, but are back at it today. Hoping by Monday to have the structure complete and then another couple of days to do the finishing touches.

@David-We don't plan on running the pergola to the house. The deck is pretty big. Plus we like having sunny areas to put up a small splash pool for the kids and sun bathing. The pergola area is big enough for a large deck set we have and should provide lots of shade once the vines grow in.

I'll update pics when almost done..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here