Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstkim

Help! New house, new vine.

firstkim
15 years ago

I just moved to a new house, and I have an interesting looking vine growing on my deck. No idea if it's a baddie or a goodie. I'm no technical whiz, so a friend from the Garden Party posted a pair of pics of it over in that gallery. Would some of you please be so kind as to pop over and take a look, and see if you can tell me whether what I have is trash or treasure? TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery vine

Comments (6)

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

Someone else will, surely, name the vine. I only know it is a pest and does not have nice flowers. I am assuming it is an annual, as I was successful in eliminating it by pulling it up before it went to seed.

• julia
    15 years ago

It is a Polygonum, Fleeece vine, perhaps P. aubertii or P. multiflorum. These have all been moved to the Fallopia family now. Someone else out there must be better at this guessing game than I am. Which Fallopia is it?

As to its desirability, that is a matter of opinion. In many situations, this is TOO energetic a vine. In plant hell, it will behave nicely with a bit of pruning. Late Summer/early Autumn fragrant white blooms. I have seen the Polygonum aubertii version look eye-popping gorgeous. It is a listed invasive in some states however. I admit to recently purchasing the less vigorous gold leafed variety; I'll be keeping watch to see if it eats children and pets.

• msbatt
    15 years ago

Julia, I disagree. I have P. aubertii (Silver Lace Vine), and it's leaves, while similar, are not so pointed as the ones in this pic. Do a Google image serach and I think you'll agree.

This looks much more like some sort of discorea to me. If it puts on some little potato-like things, you'll know for certain. In my zone, it's horribly invasive and I spend the summer fighting it.

• firstkim
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both, but after looking at Google images, I don't think I have either polygonum or discorea, although with the flower spikes that are appearing, the polygonum seems to be closer. The leaves are much thinner and much more sculptured than discorea, and appear to be more sculptured than polygonum as well.

Any more suggestions?

• julia
    15 years ago

Take another look at Polygonum multiflorum. In any case, my guess will move you up the queue. You might want to check with the pros on the Name That Plant forum.

Ms. Batt, did you note the posting asking opinions for 4 different vines? The poster has limited space and is considering Dioscorea villosa. I hope they don't live in the south.

• firstkim
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Turns out you were right, Ms. Batt. There were just so many images to search through that just looking at the general heading "dioscorea," I completely missed it. It's dioscorea oppositifolia.

Looks like I'll be doing some digging. The local bindweed is bad enough. I don't need another thug.

Thanks to all who replied.