Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erh909_gw

recommendations for vine?

erh909
14 years ago

Hi--I am a total newbie and hoping for advice! We are moving to a new house (in zone 7) which has an open space (kind of a mini-atrium) extending from the ground floor up through the second floor and topped with a very large (5' X 5') skylight. The area is enclosed by a brick wall on one side and columns/metal grillework on the others. I would love to plant something in containers at the base that would climb around the columns up to the second floor; ideally it would be a vine with flowers. I love jasmine, honeysuckle, wisteria, hydrangea, moonflower and many others. However, I don't know if any of them would fit my constraints--I need something that can tolerate being grown in a container, being grown indoors under a skylight (which I know is not the same thing as outdoor sun), and would ideally stay a little bit green if kept indoors over the winter. Also we will probably move when our lease is up in 2 years, so I was hoping for something that would grow quickly. And finally, my gardening skills are still at a very low level, so it would be good if the vine was pretty tough :) Does such a vine exist? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations